How long do most african cichlids live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I was just wondering how long most african cichlids live and how big they get? Thanks in advance:fish2::thanks:

It depends, you can't just generalize and say "Africans" that statement literally encompass hundreds of species of fish from many different lakes and rivers. Is there a specific type your curious about?

African cichlids is a pretty broad term as there are many different types.Their maximum size and lifespan will vary from fish to fish.
Generally mbuna won't get much over 6" and some are only a few inches long.many haps get much bigger at 10" plus.frontosa which is a tangyikan cichlid reach 15" and the giant tangynikan cichlid can reach nearly 2 feet in length.Some of these fish can live for 15 years others much less.This can depend on their living conditions.
My advice would be to google various types and see what you find.
Hope this helps :)

Sure it was a broad question on "most african cichlids" so why not just give a broad answer instead of trying to be speices specific, obviously he doesn't need information on a fish that reaches up to 36".

I had a convict and it lived for 25 years in a hundred gallon tank had several other ones on average they lived for about 5 to 8 years and depending on tank size they can get huge

Back
Top Bottom