How long do you QT your new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How long do you QT new fish for?

• I don't QT new fish

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Less than 1 week

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 1 week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 4 weeks or more

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I bought a few panda cories about a week ago and they are currently doing well in QT. I was planning to keep them in the QT tank for another two weeks (for a total of three weeks).

I'm curious to know how long people on here usually QT their fish for?

For new fish I usually keep them in qt for 3-4 weeks. If they develop symptoms/disease I keep them in for 2-3 weeks after all the treatments and they look healthy.

I will add that if the fish are immediately sick and don't look good after 10 days of treatment I will return them to the store and get money back or exchange the fish, as most stores allow this.

1-2 weeks for a selected few lfs that QT'ed the fish already. Otherwise 4 weeks or more.

PS - fancy koi keepers are QTing up to 1 YEAR due to koi viruses. <Or maybe this is just an excuse to have more than 1 pond!>

PS - fancy koi keepers are QTing up to 1 YEAR due to koi viruses. <Or maybe this is just an excuse to have more than 1 pond!>

Wow, 1 year is a long time. :shock: I wonder what the rationale for that is? Are there certain viruses that tend to only occur at certain times of the year? I'm skeptical - maybe it is just a good excuse to have more than 1 pond!

For us it depends on the type of fish, where we get them from and how their tankmates look.

If it's from our favorite lfs, a week is usually all we QT them for. I know this particular store constantly monitors their tanks for sicknesses.

If it's from a chain store, usually at least 2 weeks. That is if the rest of the fish in that tank look healthy. If not, we pass on buying anything.

I do 3weeks
but sometimes more than 2months, cuz I don't have the time to take a good look, so just incase I will leave them in my qt a little long. (I don't trust my LFS = =", glad I found another one close to me)

woo 1year for Koi LOL, i think its an excuse for having another pond hahahaha

Wow, 1 year is a long time. :shock: I wonder what the rationale for that is? Are there certain viruses that tend to only occur at certain times of the year? I'm skeptical - maybe it is just a good excuse to have more than 1 pond!

The koi virus is supposed to able to remain dormant & only come on after winter & there is no cure. The more fanatical ones are keeping all new fish at least over winter before introducing them into their main pond.

Back
Top Bottom