How long does driftwood lower PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i set up a tank for african cichlids, put aragonite on the bottom to keep PH higher.

now im looking for ways to decorate the tank and would like a natural look.

i have a few pieces of driftwood from my old tanks that have been submerged for over a year and have stopped releasing tannings long ago

just wondering, will adding driftwood cause my PH to drop?

It shouldn't drop the PH anymore as you had it setup on a previous tank for years. You might want to submerge it in a bucket for a week or boil it again just to be safe. Check out my African tank setup in my signature for another idea with driftwood.

Usually it's more of a gradual long term effect. Since it's a cichlid tank, I'm assuming your water is hard, and in that case it probably won't affect your pH. Humic acids are what cause the pH to drop, and if it's not leaching tannins any more, it's probably not going to be a problem.

--Adeeb

It may not drop at all. I tried to lower my pH with driftwood and failed. The aragonite will probably add enough buffers to the water to offset any pH drop from the driftwood.

African cichlids like a rocky environment. Lace rock is really natural and fun to set up. Your fish will like you more if you skip the driftwood

Back
Top Bottom