How long for pH to get up there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just added water to my tank yesterday. I'll be adding LR on thursday. I was wondering how long before the pH goes up? Right now I'm sitting at 7.55 7.60.
Will the LR affect the pH?

Thanx

7.6 8O What kind of salt and substrate are you using? 1 hour after I mixed my salt water (Instant Ocean, by the way)and poured in my aragonite sand, I had a ph of 8.2

You can try adding a little sodium bicarbonate if you are doing fish only or even calcium hydroxide solution (kalkwasser) if you are planning on raising corals to raise the ph, but I am really suprised it is that low. The live rock should raise the ph just because of the amount of calcium that is usually in the rock (dead corals or limerock).

The LR should help buffer the water.
I would just give it some time. How much water movement do you have and do you have a glass cover?

ph is one of those things that should be at the correct range emediatly after you mix it. is your specific gravity correct? do you have a c02 reactor?

No cO2 reactor. SG is at 1.023. (3 days after water was mixed)
I used instant Ocean Salt and RO water
I have 80Lbs of CaribSea Aragamax sand
Yes I do have a full cover (hood) on my tank. I'll toss that in about 2 weeks when mt PC show up. I know that surface gas exchange can be affected by it being covered.
And as an update today my pH is at 8.05.
Guess you're right QS!
Thanx

Back
Top Bottom