How long must I wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am treating my show tank w/ prazipro b/c two of my fish had internal parasites. I have already moved one and will move the other soon. How long should I wait before adding any new fish?

Prazi has a very limited scope of what it can address with internal bugs. How long have you been treating them and at what dose? What are you treating for exactly? I would suggest not adding any new fish until they have made through a proper qt for a couple of weeks and are healthy.

I have been just adding the recommended dose (1 tsp. per 20 gallons). I have treated twice. With a wc in between. Not really sure exactly what I'm dealing w/. I have a ram with fin rot & sunken belly. Also, a pleco w/ fin rot and white/clear poop. I waited about a week before I redosed btw. So this is week 2 of treatment.

Med food if everyone is eating would be much more effective but if your going the tank treatment route, I would suggest adding metronidazole to your treatment. Neither prazi nor metro will address fin rot though. A product such as API General Cure contains both and should be dosed every other day to daily after a big wc. I would treat for atleast 7-10days then reassess everyone's condition. Keeping your water pristine should help with the fin rot.

K. I will add some metro & look into getting gen. Cure. My ram really doesn't look any better and now has a pretty bad split fin.

The only fish that have shown signs of parasites are now in my 20 gallon. Do I still need to treat my main tank (56 gallons)? I have been dosing both tanks. Ram still skinny & pleco poop still clear (both now in 20).

Back
Top Bottom