How long should a tank of CO2 last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I got a 10 gallon CO2 tank a couple of months ago for my 36 gallon corner tank and I was wondering about how long a tank of CO2 lasts at 1 bps? I've already had to refill it, and I'm worried I have a leak in my tubing somewhere...
Thanks!

Does it run 24-7?

That does seem aweful fast. I was at about 7-10 bpm on a 5 gallon and it was on about 8 hours a day, ran for at lest 6 months and hasn't run out.

maybe try a soapy water test on the tubing? 1 per seconds is much fast er than mine was tho

That's way way WAY to quick for that tank to run empty. Use soapy water to check for leaks at each connection until you find the leak. Real co2 tubing will last you years before it develops a leak. It's probably a connection issue. Your tank should last you over a year at that rate. My paintball system lasts about five months at a much faster bubble rate than you're running.

I run my 10# CO2 bottle to two tanks. One at 1 bps and one at .3 bps. It lasts me at least 8 months before I have to refill it.

I made a precise calculation. You need to know, how to make it last longer. First, your standard co2 tank should be 20oz from paint ball gun. Second, you regulator should have a ph indicator so that your co2 tank last even longer. And one of the most important thing to do to keep your co2 in your aquarium is, your top water ripples should be at minimal in the day. At night, add a air pump (a little ).
In my 32 gallons a co2 tank last 4 months, refill cost 10$ ca, so 1$ us. Having a spare tanks is advise.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely do a soapy water check tonight; it's a pretty simple setup right now (regulator to a bubble counter/diffuser), but I might try to set up an inline reactor to my canister filter to get the most out of my tank as well. Thanks again for the quick help!!

Patrice said:
I made a precise calculation. You need to know, how to make it last longer. First, your standard co2 tank should be 20oz from paint ball gun. Second, you regulator should have a ph indicator so that your co2 tank last even longer. And one of the most important thing to do to keep your co2 in your aquarium is, your top water ripples should be at minimal in the day. At night, add a air pump (a little ).
In my 32 gallons a co2 tank last 4 months, refill cost 10$ ca, so 1$ us. Having a spare tanks is advise.

This is exactly how I have my co2 system setup, too. Its hard to beat that method. A larger tank will last longer, but paintball tanks are so easy to have refilled and having a spare one on hand is cheap and convenient. You're right on about a Ph controller making your tank last a little longer but at around $3 to refill a canister it's not all that necessary (I love mine). Just an added bonus in addition to always knowing your Ph. The real secret is checking for leaks, putting on a new O-ring each time you refill, having a timer, and using real co2 tubing. All simple common sense steps! :)

This is exactly how I have my co2 system setup, too. Its hard to beat that method. A larger tank will last longer, but paintball tanks are so easy to have refilled and having a spare one on hand is cheap and convenient. You're right on about a Ph controller making your tank last a little longer but at around $3 to refill a canister it's not all that necessary (I love mine). Just an added bonus in addition to always knowing your Ph. The real secret is checking for leaks, putting on a new O-ring each time you refill, having a timer, and using real co2 tubing. All simple common sense steps! :)
yes this is important. with the co2 beign corrosive, it WILL eat the tubing.

Did you ever say how big your tank is?

CO2 tubing is more for the aquarist than the plants. I use cheap airline tubing without any problem. Some references state that as much as 20% of CO2 can be lost, but upon further reading you often find that this is at higher pressures than we operate at. Some aquarists have tried to measure the CO2 lost from using airline tubing and haven't even been able to observe any lost gas.

I do have co2 tubing. And from what i can tell, they only thing it does, it give you a peace of mind. When you buy online, the co2 valve, you get a co2 tubing free.

Hi, a guy on YouTube has a great vid for a DIY inline reactor. I built one and love it

You might want to check the tank to regulator washer also. They really need replaced after every refill.

Peyton said:
You might want to check the tank to regulator washer also. They really need replaced after every refill.

Great point. I learned the hard way how important that is.

Hey, OP, let us know if you find any leaks using soapy water. I think with a new O-ring you'll be fine but better to check.

As far as co2 tubing goes, the main advantage is durability. It's more resistant to degrading over time. Mine is going strong since 2008 and it's still supple. Co2 loss may be a minor issue but durability is a good enough reason to consider it. Look at lighting. 1000K "reef" bulbs will grow freshwater plants, but a bulb made specifically to grow aquarium plants gives better results. Not necessary, but made to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom