How long should fish survive in shipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just had a bad experience ordering fish through mail order. The package was delivered a day late (fish were packed two days) and four of the five fish were dead. Does anyone have experience with mail ordering fish? I know most places guarantee live delivery if received overnight, but shouldn't they have made it 2 days?

You have to remember, That is a VERY small ammount of water, so ammonia is going to skyrocket very quickly.

on top of that, its a sealed enviroment, So only the oxygen in the bag gets to the fish, and that can run out.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't think its unreasonable to expect fish to die in that situation.

I'd rather not mention the dealer. I know it is not his fault. It was not a major company though. I guess it was just bad luck.

I hope they were insured...
GO lock yourself in a airtight box and see how long you last..
Thats why they died :(
Call UPS orhave the shipper call them, if he paid for overnight service then he should have got it !

My opinion is that it is 50/50. Fish survive more than two days coming from overseas..very few shops actually send them overnight! Be real!!

Most reputable betta breeders ship expecting a possible two day delay.
Bigger heat packs, more water. Betta of course are more adaptable.
I see the poor salt fish and anenome at one shop, I have seen the labels. They are ONE WEEK in transit .

How long you can expect? is for how long it was packaged for.

The better insulated and more water..the better survival.
Package markings count too. If it is not marked fragile and perishable or live; it may be put in temp extremes or rougher handling. If it is marked LIVE it always gets special handling...even the good ol USPS does so (I am a postal delivery driver :wink: ). There are new bags that let oxy/nitro exchange like a membrane, but you ship less fish because the way they are set up. boxes are not airtight..unless it has six layers of duct tape :lol: , but bags usually are.... :(

We had a betta get lost in the mail 2 days(5 day in a box..packing day shipping morning, 2 lost days and dedlivery day). the box was still warm and the 3 bettas frisky.

If the shipper did everything right, but just had less water, then it is a combination of shipper and shipping agent. It should be insured on his end if it is express or priority tho. At least for return of postage. Check you box markings and go from there... :?

Check you box markings and go from there...
As a former PO worker, I back Christmasfish's advice. No matter what company was used to ship the fish, the box should be clearly marked.

Well the box was clearly marked "live fish - rush delivery" and UPS did there part in that they did deliver them overnight. I live in an apartment and the front office usually takes delivery if the tenant isn't in. It just so happens that they were all out at a seminar when UPS made their first attempt. I came home from work, checked at the office and they told me they missed the delivery but that they usually make a second attempt at about 5pm. So I go home and wait--no delivery. Next afternoon after work I find them in the office. They were delivered to the office the previous day right before closing. I am kind of angry at ups for not knocking on my door and kind of angry at the office for leaving them there a whole day knowing I was looking for that package. To add to the tragedy they were rather rare zebra otocinclus and the dealer is out of them now. They can be delicate I hear. But the dealer is upset also and promised to send me some when he gets more. Good news is the lone survivor seems to be doing fine.

Well..your experience wasn't the typical bad mail order..it was more in the "aw-chit" dept. Delivery of packages are always given to front office unless clearly marked addressee only in some fashion.
So UPS did no wrong...... they did nothing different. Unless marked they would have no reason NOT to leave it at the office. I never deliver packages to the door in larger apartments (over 60 units). Package locker or office.
You should have returned personally to the office one more time or at least called. As for the office..... :evil: ...the office should have tried contact as soon as they accepted that box!! Most people have a blase attitude about "just fish" unfortunately.
When my fish was late I went to the office twice a day..watched the tracking number online and called once midday every day til it arrived. I did not want my kid's 80 dollar fish on a back burner.

Glad to hear your little friend is recovering now. I love our otos, what dust tidy tankmates (and pooop factories! :lol: ). I am glad the supplier is a good store. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom