how long to leave filter in an established tank to seed it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Setting up my 20g and was just wondering how long I should leave my penguin 330 in my 46g to seed it then stick it in the 20? Better yet, I can just put new filters in my 350 penguin, and then stick the old filters into the 330 and put it into the 20g right? Add a fish or two and keep an eye on the levels.

You will need to run the new filter for a couple of weeks on your established tank to help seed it. If you move the filter media from your established tank into the new filter & immediately place on the 20, you will most likely cause the 46g to recycle. Just make sure you keep an eye on the numbers in both tanks when moving filters around to make sure everything stays stable. :)

Well my 350 has biowheels which is where a lot of the bb is right? My 330 is supposed to have bio wheels but it doesn't. Is there anything I can put into my 330 to home the bb?

I wouldn't count on the biowheels to keep a tank cycled if you remove the filter media itself. Are there primary filter cartridges & then secondary cartridges you fill in the 350? Is your 330 just missing biowheels? You can buy replacement wheels on amazon & few other sites.

Yes my 350 has slots for 2 filters on each side but I am only using 1 on each side. The 330 is missing the bio wheels, the bio wheel brackets (I can't find), and the cover for the filter. Thanks for the help, guess I am just gonna have to wait :(

Back
Top Bottom