How many algae eaters and ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmdonnelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank. Two mollies, three guppies, one platy, one ghost shrimp, and one small 1.5' algae eater. I am not sure the name of the breed of the algae eater, I just know that it is not a plecostamus (not sure of spelling). I am noticing some algae buildup on the edge of the tank. Is there a recommended amount of ghost shrimp or algae eaters? Should I consider a different species?

It depends on what type of algae is building up. The term "Algae eater" doesn't mean that they eat ALL types of algae. Browse through this forum on Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish to determine what type of algae you are dealing with: Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

You can also browse through this forum at Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish to see what species are most effective at combating algae: Algae Eaters for the Freshwater Aquarium - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

That is one of the hardest algae types to clean so no wonder there aren't many inhabitants that will eat it. On that page though it says that the Nerite snail takes care of that type of algae. If you weren't interested in that species, you could always just get one of those magnetic glass scrapers and you can remove the algae by hand.

Ok, so here's my spill on algae control... Fish should not be purchased to take care of algae problems. Fish should only be purchased because you want them. Buying a fish is only putting a bandaid on the problem. You need to figure out what you're doing wrong that is causing the algae. the three most common reasons people get algae are
-leaving the lights on too long
-overfeeding
-poor water conditions

that being said, you need to analyze your feeding/lighting/maintenance habits and see whats going on. Only run your lights to see your fish if its not planted. Anymore than 4-6 hours a day is too much. Only feed your fish as much as they eat in a minute every other day. Keep your water clean. 20-50% pwc's weekly should be done, imo, to keep parameters good... additional pwc's may be required in certain circumstances.

Water Changes! Algae is a build up of excess nutriunts and light which will grow in you tank. Sort of like a weed in a garden now to kill this you would spray something to take away the nutrients from the roots so a water change will hopefull kill the algae.

+1 of rookie that was how i read to get rid of Algae

Back
Top Bottom