How many fish can fit in my pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

.lily.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100 gallon pond set up. How many comets/shubunkins could I put in there without overstocking it?

Would I be able to keep some in the 100 gallon for 5 month, before moving them to a 5,000 gallon? Or should I just wait?

I would just wait unless the 100gallon is a quarantine holder (eg cycled with nitrifying bacteria, stable temp, powerhead to move water around) to use for a month or two to check expensive fish are disease free.

If they are just common, inexpensive types I would just add to the large pond.

(but you can send pics of pond meantime - haven't seen a pond blog for awhile :) )

Thank you, I will put some smaller fish in there and wait to get fish for the bigger pond. Is their any fish you recommend that can be outside in the 100 gallon?

Fancy goldfish might be okay if you live in a climate that doesn't get too cold. You could fit around 5 fancy goldfish comfortably in there.

What is the setup for your pond? I've seen cichlids kept in a pond (cycled, with canister filter, water changes with gravel vacs) in a back room. Looked quite nice and they were very friendly.

The neighbor has small natives in his outdoor one (a few plants, no water turn-over, mesh on top to keep birds away, gets shade from house).

This thread below from JLK may also help on growth rates. I've seen comets go from something that is getting a bit big for a 30gal to foot long (plus tail) monsters in a year so their growth rates can be high in good conditions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Back
Top Bottom