how many fish in a 10gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amylee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ten gallon brakish water tank with 3 mollies at the moment. Was thinking about adding a ghost shrimp or a snail. Also thought about adding a few more. I want small ones so I can have more, what kind and how many more if any can I safely add to this tank? Thanks :)

Welcome to AA

3 mollies seems like nothing in a 10g right?
Well it is! You tank is over-stocked. Mollies may be small but can get large and have a huge bio load.

Is the tank cycled?
If not r u doing a fish in cycle?

BTW on the top right corner do u see where it say's chat?
Click it and then go from there and u have help! :)

I would agree that the mollies should probably be in a larger tank. In my opinion, I wouldn't put mollies in anything smaller than a 20. But if u want to add anything a snail or some shrimp wouldn't hurt.

I dont know why everyone says mollies get huge, mine dont! IMO your fine to add a few tetras/or guppies with them, and a couple shrimp or snail. Just make sure you do your PWC's, vaccums, and check your water perameters regularily.

I dont know why everyone says mollies get huge, mine dont! IMO your fine to add a few tetras/or guppies with them, and a couple shrimp or snail. Just make sure you do your PWC's, vaccums, and check your water perameters regularily.

WOW! no more fish 4 u! Mollies get pretty big 4 a 10g. IMO u really can't have anymore fishies. If u do want u can get 2-5 ghost shrimp and 2 snails IMO.

I personally wouldn't keep mollies in a 10... but it isn't about bioload--it is about the activity level and size of the fish. If you wanted to add some shrimp or snails, it would be fine. Your bioload is low, and small FW inverts contribute almost no additional bioload. Not sure I would add any fish to that setup.

You will find with stocking though, that if you ask 10 different people, you might get 20 different answers ;).

WOW! no more fish 4 u! Mollies get pretty big 4 a 10g. IMO u really can't have anymore fishies. If u do want u can get 2-5 ghost shrimp and 2 snails IMO.

Well I guess its a matter of opinon then, I see nothing wrong with 4-5 mollies in a 10 gallon! But I also so know there are many on this site that would be freaked out by that... thats why Its my opinion ;)

I think that from now on I'm going to stock my aquariums with the following assessment: if your nitrAte readings prior to your weekly water change are at 20ppm or lower, and your fish have plenty of swimming room, then you're not overstocked.

People's situations are always very different. Some will have very few fish, plastic plants, and only do 20% water changes, and be able to keep nitrAtes under control. Others will have a large number of fish, heavily planted tank, and do 50% PWC weekly, and also keep nitrAtes at 20ppm or less. It really depends on the aquarium and your desire to keep it healthy.

That said, I wouldn't stock a tank to the max right away. Stock the tank slowly over time and see where your nitrAte readings are prior to your weekly PWC. If nitrAtes are well in hand with minimum maintenance, feel free to add some more fish. If not, increase how much water is changed and add some plants. Eventually you'll reach a happy medium where you have both the fish and maintenance schedule you want.

Back
Top Bottom