How many fish is too many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armaanhirani

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im just starting out so bare with me. Im planning on getting a 20 gallon tank with 2 plecos, 5 rainbow tetras, 5 kuhlis, 2 adf, 3 mollys, and 10 red cherry shrimp. Im gonna have a quiet flow filter and sand substrate. Thanks

What kind of plecos are you planning on getting? Even the small ones poop a LOT and will use up a lot of 'bio-space' in a tank. Mollies get surprisingly big and are usually recommended for a 30g, plus if you get females you will have fry, which can quickly overrun a tank. ADFs need special attention when feeding, as they need food put right in front of them and don't really eat flakes.

Just a few things to keep in mind

I was planning on getting bristlenose plecos. And as for the adf, what do they eat then I don't mind feeding them specially. And is there anything I can do to keep the mollies in the 20g

I wouldn't keeo 2 bristlenose in a 20, I have my single on in a 30 and he poops everywhere. Even one will be pushing it.

Adfs will need more frozen foods like bloodworms, earthworms, daphina etc, and usually need target fed, especially with pushy fish in the same tank.

I don't know anything about rainbow tetras, sorry :/

Mollies will also most likely eat your cherry shrimp, the adfs might too, or at least the smaller ones

Mollies also need a 30 gallon minimum. I'd stick with the tetras, kuhlis & shrimp for a 20 gallon, but even then you might be overstocked depending on if we're talking UK or US gallon. I'm not sure what ADF are?

Peace ?

Mollies also need a 30 gallon minimum. I'd stick with the tetras, kuhlis & shrimp for a 20 gallon, but even then you might be overstocked depending on if we're talking UK or US gallon. I'm not sure what ADF are?

Peace ?
African dwarf frogs.

And OP, make sure if you do get adfs, tou learn to tell the difference between them and african clawed frogs, hard to tell apart for new people and a completely different type of needs and personality

Peace ��

I'm talking us gallons and I really want the mollies is there any way to keep them

I know the feeling, there are lots of fish I want but can't have because my tank's too small. I'd love fire eel but my 550 litre tank isn't quite enough.
Consider platys instead if it's the look of the fish you like, they're the closest you'd get to mollies. The fry will be eaten by the other tank mates so unless you're planning on breeding them then you won't be overrun, the odd one or two might survive. If you don't want fry then you could just get some male guppies.

I agree, and would look at smaller live-bearers if you want a school. As well schooling fish survive a lot better and imo look better the larger the school so it is a trade-off.

I have one betta and several snails in a 6gal and run that with a glass bottom as the amount of waste each week is incredible (the betta says it is the snails but idk).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom