How many GBRs in a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know that this question was asked several times but the answer never seems to be consistent.

I currently have a 55 gallon tank with dither Fish and cories. How many German blue rams can be in a tank of this size?

The common answer that I find is one male and one or two females. I typically like odd number fish in my tank so I am wondering if I can go with three or even 5 rams?

Thank you for your help.

I understand what you mean about answers not being consistent. I had 2 pair in a heavily decorated 75 in it didn't work. Some claim they have 3 pair in a 30 so i really don't know.

Honestly I would just keep 1 mating pair in pretty much any tank under 6 foot.

I feel like 2 GBRs would be lost in a 55G tank.

If only buying 2 is best than can you suggest another pair of dwarf cichlids that could go in the same tank?

I know it's just when you start breeding cichlids it can get deadly quickly. What specific type of fish do you have now?

A school of glowlight tetra, black neon tetra, and 1 angelfish.

Don't you have cories to? But you could do a pair of Bolivian rams they would look nice and are a bit bigger i don't know much about dwarf cichlids so I don't really have any other recommendations.

Yes, 3 cories. I think the Bolivian need different water temperatures. I will research it some more.

At least now I know that I should just stick with 1 pair of GBRs.

Thank you for your help.

I feel like 2 GBRs would be lost in a 55G tank.

If only buying 2 is best than can you suggest another pair of dwarf cichlids that could go in the same tank?

They have big personality and lots of color they wont get lost. They will most likely spend time in the middle of the tank. I wouldn't add any other dwarfs I would add some schooling fish and let the GBR's be your center piece. Remember they get to be the size of a half dollar.

If you wanted a few more rams, you could do one male with 2-3 females. I know you've been talking about a pair but a harem is something that I'm looking at doing with mine in a 50 gallon.

I have 4 pairs in a 40g. Just make sure that you have plenty of areas they can claim as territory and there's no reason you can't have 4-5 pairs.

I have 4 pairs in a 40g. Just make sure that you have plenty of areas they can claim as territory and there's no reason you can't have 4-5 pairs.

Jealous of people like you. Maybe the secret is having more than 2 pairs. I couldnt make 2 pairs work in my 75 i tried everything. always came down to the 1 pair. Maybe my 1 pair were just jerks :).

Back
Top Bottom