How many Golden Rams to keep together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidphilosopher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

Recently added 3 Golden Rams today as per the advice from my LFS that golden rams are best kept in odd numbers to avoid aggression. I am enquiring whether that is true as I often see one golden ram alone, should I get another to round it off?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ive kept 3 electric blue rams together with no aggression problems before. They are a colour varient of the same species of ram.

My problem with them was these rams needed much warmer water than i kept that aquarium at. They don't suit the temperature most tropical aquariums are kept at. 26c minimum, and thats probably too low. 28c or even 30c would be better.

Ive kept 3 electric blue rams together with no aggression problems before. They are a colour varient of the same species of ram.

My problem with them was these rams needed much warmer water than i kept that aquarium at. They don't suit the temperature most tropical aquariums are kept at. 26c minimum, and thats probably too low. 28c or even 30c would be better.
Perfect! I’ll probably keep it at 3. Unsure regarding the sexes though

I currently have my temp set at 27C but will keep it around there to 28C which is on the upper end for all the other tropical fish.

There is good news and bad news with the rams. The good news is you can keep them in any numbers. The bad news is that if you keep males and females together, eventually they will pair off which brings on bad news where there will be aggression towards the other fish because the pair will want to be alone. The good news is that if the tank is large enough and decorated with lots of hiding spots, the pair as well as the other fish can all have their own spots. The bad news is sometimes they pick spots that are so secluded yo can't enjoy watching them. :^s
I suggest you keep a close eye on your lone Ram. If you see the other 2 rams picking at it, they are probably a pair and it's best to remove or separate the loner. If you see If you see one ram picking at both other rams, that is just one trying to establish dominance and should settle down once dominance is secured.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom