How many powerheads for circulation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
Howdy all - I'm acquiring suppiles for my 210 FOWLR build. I plan to have one canister filter (likely a large Fluval FX 5) along with HOB skimmers and I plan to have a sand bed and 300ish punds of live rock. My question is: How many/what size power heads/pumps should I plan on placing in the tank for circulation to prevent dead spots? I know the exact number will depend on my rock display - I'm just looking a best-guess for now.
Thanks

I would probably use 4 of them for a tank that size.

Is there no room underneath the tank for a sump? That would be preferable over the fx5 and the hang on skimmers. :)

I would use something much larger than 1300 gph. I would also stay away from the one linked. It will fall off of the glass a million times and then you'll end up throwing it out the window. Buy something quality, with a magnet, or at least an advanced suction device like the larger Aqueon power heads. I know Carey didn't like the smaller units, but I have a 1650 and a 1250 and am happy with them so far. I'm also using three 1400 gph Koralia power heads in my 265 and I'm sorry I didn't go larger. That's 5 power heads plus the return, and I'm not happy.

I vote for at least 4 koralia 1400's. I'm still having problems with my aqueon's that I have in service, now they are making loud noises and clicking. grrr.... can't say that I can recommend them lol.

Or you could get 2 vortech mp40's or mp60's, very expensive, like obscenely expensive, BUT they are adjustable and can do some neat stuff as far as circulation. :)

Just a thought.

Carey - Do you have some Koralias now? If so - do they stay mounted/stuck to the glass pretty well? Also - I know your Aqueons are acting up/noisy but have they stayed mounted well? I'm trying to avoid the issue of falling pumps, blowing sand - etc
Thanks

I have yet to have a koralia fall off the glass. I have about 12 or so of them in service. The aqueons have fallen off just a couple times. In fact I returned a crappy loud aqueon and the replacement one is now making that rattling noise too. Just couldn't catch a break. lol

It may just be me, but I guess I'm a powerhead snob. I just love the koralias, haven't had one issue with any of them. I do however plan on moving up to vortechs, I plan on one for my 60g I'm working on now. I would also like to add one to my 125g if i can muster up the courage to drop that much cash. lol

I can't comment on the new designs, but the old koralias would last a little while and then shock you when you touch the water or the pump.
My Aqueons are perfectly silent and have been sticking now for a couple months. Best I can tell you.
I also like Seio Prop Pumps. They have excellent magnets and are built well.

Back
Top Bottom