How much can you change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amartin655

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my tank with java moss and that safestart stuff tetra sells, let that go for about two weeks, I thought that would be a good way to get the cycling started before adding fish. When I got fish I got 4 cobra endler guppys and a small algae eater. I know, I shouldn’t have gotten that many, but my girlfriend really wanted them and I can’t say no. With that being said, obviously I’m having ammonia and nitrate issues now. What’s the max amount I can change the water in my tank? I want to change it as mich as possible to get the levels down, but im worried if the nitrates don’t kill my fish the stress of me changing water to much will.

Hello a...

You're simply cycling your tank with fish, which is efficient and has been done for decades. In my opinion, this is the best way to establish a tank. It will leave your tank with a steady, healthy water chemistry. Since the fish are in, you feed them a little every day or two and remove and replace a third of the tank water every three days for a couple of weeks. After that time, you change half the water for as long as you have the tank running. You can keep 3 to 4 small to medium sized fish for every 10 gallons of water. Just make sure you remove and replace half the water every week.

B

Back
Top Bottom