How much is patial water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rami84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How much is a patial water change and how often, I've been doing it weekly.:n00b:

You can hardly ever go wrong with frequent water changes. Weekly 25%-30% are good.

Best thing is to get a test kit and test every few days to a week. If the water parameters are a bit askew a PWC of 25%-50% is good. You would be diluting the bad stuff in the water.

My parameters have been a bit off as of late and I have been doing weekly water changes on the weekends. I use the drained tank water on my neighbor's garden (I have a high nitrate reading out of the tap). Helps me actually do something better with the water than draining it down the toilet.

10-50%.... nothing wrong with weekly 50% water changes. the more you stock the tank the better it is to do more water change.

Partial Water Change or PWC is anything less than 100% water change. It really depends, like the others have said. If you check your parameters and your Nitrates are >80ppm then 80% is a PWC. It all depends on what you are talking about. The worse your situation is, the bigger PWC it calls for.

I have done anywhere from 20 gallons to 75 gallon changes on my 90 gallon tank. Normal is 30 gallons twice a month.

We do 50-75% changes every 7-10 days. Happy fish. :)

Thanks heaps guys much appreciated I will do prob 25% every 5 days that way I will have happy fish I hope....let me know it that is okay?? I add water conditioner to the new water when it is still in the bucket so they don't overdose is that all good?

Lots of debate about when to add the conditioner. I add to the tank during the time the water is going back in with the python. And I dose for the entire tank. Never had a problem.

i do the same thing spponman. prime says you can safely add 5x amount of normal for prime.

yeah when using it to de-chlor and using it in the tank I get confused.

yeah when using it to de-chlor and using it in the tank I get confused.

Unless you have an ammonia or nitrite spike and need it as an emergency band-aid until you can get it addressed, there's really no reason to add Prime or any dechlor to the tank outside of pwc's

Last edited:
Unless you have an ammonia or nitrite spike and need it as an emergency band-aid until you can get it addressed, there's really no reason to add Prime or any dechlor to the tank outside of pwc's

Agreed.

The way I've always used Prime is if I'm treating the water before I put it in the tank, I dose for the volume of the water I'm adding. If I'm using a Python and adding Prime as the tank fills, I dose for the entire volume of the tank (as per the Python instructions). Works for me. :)

I was using something similar to Prime, Stress Coat by API. The bottle is put away but it says you can use it to de-chlor and to "promote the health of the fish/tank" (or something similar).

Time for me to do a water change anyway. Usually even if I don't have a chemical imbalance I will add a bit of it, maybe half of what it says, just to try to help the fish with the stress of a water change.

StressCoat is basically the same thing as Prime. If the fish are healthy, you have no reason to use it unless you are doing a water change and are using it as a dechlorinator. Other than that I wouldnt add it to the water just for the prophylactic properties. I dont put anything in the water that the fish dont need. JMO

*lol* using some old de-chlor I got from a friend of mine who no longer has a tank. Just in case the stuff had gone bad I figure for now it is better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom