How much seaweed for Tang/Rabbitfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I recently added my Tang and Rabbitfish and along with them I bought a pack of seaweed.

Anyway, I've read that people usually put a 2"x3" piece in with a clip/attached to a rock, leave it for 24 hours, and then remove what's left.

I put 2 pieces that are about 2.5"x2.5" and tied them to a rock. Within 2-3 hours, the all of it is gone. The rabbitfish gobbles it down like you wouldn't believe. The tang picks at it quite a bit and one of my damsels also goes for it.

Does this mean I need to put more in? The rabbitfish eats the stuff like there's no tomorrow and the Tang keeps coming back to get more but it's always gone.

I have watched and it's not floating away... they are really eating it all. (I secure it well)

Mine rarely lasts 10 minutes..I hear what you are saying. That just means that they needed the seaweed and that they will be nice healthy fish IMO. With two fish, I would put in a half of a sheet. If they gobble that up completely, great! I would feed it daily to every other day.

As long as it isn't floating away I'd use half a sheet also.

If I put more then a 3X3 size on my clip my yellow tang has a habit of nipping at the base first which usually sets it free and I have to chase it down :roll:

What kind of tang/rabbit fish did you go with and how large are they?

I guess I will start putting in larger pieces, maybe 2/3 days. They don't go for the regular food at all since they've had the seaweed.

I decided to go with a yellow tang and (originally a mimic tang) but I saw a barred spinefoot (aka two-bar rabbitfish) that I loved!

I'm not very good at measuring fish size (I don't even use inches in Canada) so here are some pics!

Well looks like those pics weren't needed! Removed them.

I guess I'll add a link to that thread in my signature or something and keep all my pics in 1 thread.

Thanks Mike. Great looking fish :D The Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus) is very sharp looking :D Both look very healthy and about 3" judging from the photos.

Back
Top Bottom