How much should I feed my spiny eel? (Zig zag)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulishafan90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My eel has been eating about half a brick of bloodworm every night and Im wondering if I am over/underfeeding him. I would say hes about a foot long right now and looks like he is at a healthy weight. How much should I feed him now, and how much when he is full grown? I read here Zig Zag Eel, Mastacembelus armatus Spiny Eel Fish Guide, Tire Track Eel zig zags only eat once or twice a week but I'm not too sure about that. I mean it would be pretty cool if it were true, save me some money, but i doubt it. Btw hes in a 55 gallon so im guessing full grown about 18 inches... right?

Also, how obvious is it if he is underweight? Would he be like completely skinny or is it more discrete? Right now hes fairly round so im not too worried.

I realize it's elongated but as long as his stomach has a rounded appearance he's fine.imo. my tire track eel didn't eat at first for over 4wks and at one point i wasn't even sure if he was in the tank.

Alright sick, had em for a week or so and he just started eating so I was wondering. How much do you feed yours? Im thinking half a brick of bloodworm every other day but idk

mulishafan90 said:
Alright sick, had em for a week or so and he just started eating so I was wondering. How much do you feed yours? Im thinking half a brick of bloodworm every other day but idk

I would do a full brick. My Fire Eel is pretty small and can eat 10 Ghost Shrimp everyday. You should try night crawlers if you can get him to eat those it should save you some money.

Just remember though that those shrimp don't have quite the nutritional value as earthworms or bloodworms. I'd try half a brick every other day for now, and try to see if he'll accept earthworms so you can alternate.

Back
Top Bottom