How much to feed my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valentine089

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a couple new fish for my 25 gallon tank this past sunday.. I am relatively noob at this kinda stuff but I wanted to know how my cubes I should put in my tank each day. I have a tire track eel, a golden CAE, an angelfish (black and white one/silver), an upsidedown catfish and a snail. I got frozen blood worm cubes... I don't know how much I should put in my tank for the eel, angel and cat. Just want an idea. They are baby fish. The eel is prob 3 or 4 inches. The cat is 3. The angel is small... Idk. I could post pictures later if this would help but I want to know how much food I give them. Thanks in advance :)

edit: I know that these fish get a lot bigger. I know that they're all semi aggressive and the CAE gets mean when older. I have a place where when they get a little too big I will give back to the place in return for store credit. They all have their own spots and no one has bugged each other yet.

A: Cubes of what?
B: Water parameters? How old is the tank?

General rule of thumb is that a fish's stomach is the size of its eyeball. (not a perfect method... but close)

The fish you have will vary in their food eating styles - Some are bottom feeders, some are surface feeders. Feed what they'll eat in a few minutes.

You added a fair number of fish - what did you have in the tank before? If nothing - there's a good chance your tank isn't fully cycled and you should keep a VERY close eye on the ammonia and nitrites. (and nitrates)

Cubes of bloodworms. The tank is brand new, yes. I love animals and fish and everything about it so I do research and ask a lot of experts before throwing them in there. The tank has been running over a month and I took a water sample over to my fish store and it is fine for them to be in there. The levels are fine for these fish as far as I know o.o

I did the test myself too with those little strips that give you all the info of your water quality. There are those all in 1 strips. I looked up what was a good thing. I used water from another tank that has already been cycled. It was new water and then added a filter and some water from the already cycled tank into this one.
edit: i am appreciating all the comments and help so don't think i'm not being unappreciative :3

The test strips have a really bad reputation for being inaccurate. You made a good step towards cycling by using part of the filter media from an existing tank. The water wouldn't have hurt but doesn't really carry that much bacteria to count towards cycling a new tank.

:l Well, didn't know that about strips, thank you for the info. The filter was in there was over 2 or 3 weeks. I did the test not once, but multiple times. It was showing not too great for the first couple times (the spike in the cycle i believe) then it went back down. From what I've read about the cycle... it starts out all nice then it gets really bad and then it gets better and my tank has done that I believe.

edit: The fish don't seem to be feeling any discomfort. They look happy and swimming and eating normally. Now I want to make sure if it really is ok...

It sounds like you're probably either just cycled or very close to cycled. :)

Yup! Just feed lightly - What they can eat in a couple minutes, and keep an eye on the parameters. If things start to crash, do large (50%) water changes regularly.

what I've done with those cubes before Is put them into a syringe without the needle, and waited for it to all fall apart. Then inject it into the tank - Allows for better portion control, and no worries about fish choking on dry food.

Another question is about how I take out water and pour in some more what that has had the pH stuff added into it.. I don't know much about it or why I need to do it.. any ideas? Maybe I made this one up in my mind o.o Thought I should ask though. And thank you for all the great responses. I really appreciate it.

Don't add anything that's in a bottle labeled "pH UP" or the like. Quick fluctuations in pH can cause quick death amongst your fish.

It's actually called water conditioner. I didn't have it next to me when I wrote that.

You need water conditioner so that it removes the chlorine and bromine from your tap water. Failure to use a proper amount of it will cause the chlorine to kill off the good bacteria in your filter - as well as hurt your fish! :) Dechlorinator/Stress coat is your friend - But follow instructions on the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom