how much to feed my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a search and nothing came up or didn't use the correct phrasing. I just got into aquariums and have had my 36 gallon about 6 weeks, it is stocked with 4 Sunburst Platty's, 3 Tetra Red-blues and 3 Cory Cats.

I know this is a "simple" question but how much do I feed them? PetSmart, where I bought the tank and fish said "what they will eat in 5 minutes". well this could be/is misleading; do I dump a hand full in for them to eat in 5 minutes or just enough that they eat all of, then add more until they stop eating?

I put in enough that they eat it all and add more about 2 or 3 times. About 8 hours later, come home from work, I add some and they go after it like piranha after a raw steak. My feeling is they are hungry, but PetSmart says they are opportunity eaters and will eat everything I put in. How much is too much as I don't want to have water problems.

on a side note, I bought some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, they seem to like the shrimp but didn't touch the blood worms.

I love the hobby, it is relaxing

NEVER follow the directions on the container, or petsmart. Feeding them as much as they can eat in 5 minutes is WAAAAAY too much! Just sprinkle some food in the tank ONCE a day and make sure all the fish get some. There is no real directions on how much to feed your fish. If you feed them once every other day they will be healthy and happy. Your feeding them a lot twice a day will cause the tank's water quality to go down quick, and your fish will get sick. So just some sprinkles every other night and you should be good.

well the bit about them being opportunity eaters is true, they will pretty much eat any time you put food in the tank. and most will come to the top with that i'm starving look every time you come near the tank, and basicly the more they eat the more they poop lol.
I try to keep my tanks pretty lightly stocked, and i try to feed a small pinch of flakes everyday, not worrying too much if i forget a day, feed my pleco's a wafer or couple sinking pellets at nite. But yeah i would say your feeding too much, Especially in a newer tank. Do you test your water regularly and do frequent water changes?

Thanks for the really quick input on this matter. PetSmart/PetCo is the only place in town to get aquarium supplies and advice, except for the web so I had no idea until I have been enlightned. I will reduce my feeding to every other day.

Back
Top Bottom