How powerful of an air pump? 150G FX5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychomp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have a 150 gallon tank and it is being filtered by an FX5. I use to have a power head pushing water/air mixture into the tank, but my black aro does not like much water movement. Now that I took the power head out and repositioned the FX5 nozzle - he is swimming around the tank a lot more. This is why I want to get a regular air pump coupled with an air stone.

From your personal experience, how powerful of an air pump is necessary for my setup? Tetra Whisper has a 100G with dual outputs, but why get that if a 40G single is enough?

I need some personal experience with this matter.

i got a spray bar for my 405 thats in my 150 and with that, along with the output from my 305 and hob, i get PLENTY of surface agitation... you may want to go with something along those lines, especially if you want to keep a more natural look to your tank and not have bubbles coming up through the water... If you would rather get an air pump, something like the one for the 40g would be fine, if you put a "bubble wand" in... but imo a spray bar would look much better... oh and welcome to AA :)

just thought id let you know, if you want to go the spray bar route, you can probably find one on ebay. Im not sure if it would use the same one as mine, i think it does, but i got mine for $11 plus shipping, i think it was like $16 all together... cheaper than an air pump

Awesome, I found that Petsmart also sells them for $7.99. Pretty good deal.

Do you think the 40G Air pump can a comparable amounts of air as a spraybar?

well its not really a matter of "air", its surface agitation. The spray bar will give you more surface agitation as it is moving water and disturbing around 3' of the water on the surface. The air pump could potentially move more, depending on the side of the pump and the length of the bubble wand, but imo it would be best to go with the spray bar. If looks arent a concern, the air pump COULD be a better option, but if you want to keep a more natural look to the tank, the spray bar is best. Just think, have you ever seen fish in a lake or river with bubbles coming up everywhere? thats the thought i use when setting up an aquarium, i try to keep everything as natural as possible

something like the one for the 40g would be fine
highly likely 100% wrong. the deeper the water the stronger the pump has to be to get air down in the water. so if you put it just bellow the water line it will work but most people put them on the bottom of the tank which wouldnt work.

a hob or aiming your out put so its making ripples over the top will give you greater air ration. i dont run air pumps on any of my tanks. almost all tanks dont need them.

highly likely 100% wrong. the deeper the water the stronger the pump has to be to get air down in the water. so if you put it just bellow the water line it will work but most people put them on the bottom of the tank which wouldnt work.

a hob or aiming your out put so its making ripples over the top will give you greater air ration. i dont run air pumps on any of my tanks. almost all tanks dont need them.
Thats why i said the bubble wand, ive always seen them up at the top of the tank.... Thats also why i suggested a spray bar instead :)

Back
Top Bottom