How shy should a Cobalt Lobster be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I introduced a Cobalt Lobster to my 75-gallon tank yesterday. He was very active yesterday scoping out the joint but seems to be hiding in a driftwood cave exclusively today. He poked a claw out at some tubifex worms earlier, but nothing since.

Truth be told, he is hiding in the one spot in the tank that I have no visibility into, so for all I know, he could be injured or worse.

Is it pretty normal for him to be this shy early on? Is that how they generally are? At what point do I need to lift up the pretty big driftwood to make sure he's still alive?

Thanks!

I would say shyness in a new tank is normal.

Also this is probably the territory he has claimed and is thus preventing anyone from taking it by staying there.

Soon he will have enough confidence that no one will steal his spot that he will be venturing out to patrol his "turf"

I have never kept a lobster before, but I'm guessing he's just getting used to his environment. Give it some time and see what happens. he'll slowly start to come out.

Yeah, it's normal. At first mine was very reclusive but after a while he seemed to get more and more ballsy to the point of going after anything and everything. Just be careful when putting it with aggressive fish.. I "used" to have a smaller oscar until he went after the lobster. Strangely enough i never saw it again.. hmmmm..

Two weeks later and "Larry" rarely comes out at all. I can see his claws waiting at the mouth of the cave and I saw him out when I turned on the lights one morning this week, but the guy never comes out.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having it -- is there something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom