How small is TOO small? -- shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I love the sleek look of the teeny half gallon tanks petsmart sells, but it's ridiculous to think a fish could live in that. Shrimp, however, totally can.
How many small-medium shrimp could live in a 0.5g? (Bio-load is not an issue)

Not many actually, if any at all. .5 gal is pretty small even for shrimp. Minimum size would be 2 gal and some even say more than that.

I love the sleek look of the teeny half gallon tanks petsmart sells, but it's ridiculous to think a fish could live in that. Shrimp, however, totally can. How many small-medium shrimp could live in a 0.5g? (Bio-load is not an issue)

With live plants, one or two RCS might be fine. Just remember, tiny tanks can go through temp and parameter changes much faster than larger tanks.

I know of club members who have Shrimp Bowls. You can see some on The Planted Tank and I think here ? as well ?

My RCS live in an unheated 10g, but my room temp is fairly stable.

With live plants, one or two RCS might be fine. Just remember, tiny tanks can go through temp and parameter changes much faster than larger tanks.

I know of club members who have Shrimp Bowls. You can see some on The Planted Tank and I think here ? as well ?

My RCS live in an unheated 10g, but my room temp is fairly stable.

Your tanks look great!
The temp in my house is very stable, but I can see how a .5g would be relatively dangerous. Would I larger (2g-ish, as the post above you said) vase be suitable?
I'm trying for a really sleek & modern look, but I can't afford a rimless or Fluval etc. I still want to be humane, y'know?

Your tanks look great! The temp in my house is very stable, but I can see how a .5g would be relatively dangerous. Would I larger (2g-ish, as the post above you said) vase be suitable? I'm trying for a really sleek & modern look, but I can't afford a rimless or Fluval etc. I still want to be humane, y'know?

Thank you. 2g would be better. Wider rather than tall and narrow is better also.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Planted shrimp bowl

Back
Top Bottom