How to Add Activated Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my tank is mostly done with it's setup, and today I picked up two keyhole cichlids (woohoo!) but I have some tanins in my water from the driftwood. I was thinking of grabbing some activated carbon for my filter to fix the issue, but I don't know how to go about using it. I have a canister filter (eheim 2213) and the carbon comes in little pellets. Do I just dump them onto the top of the other filtration? Do i put it in a bag with holes in it? I know carbon becomes useless pretty quickly so I don't think it would makes sense to just dump it in the filter... how would i get it out?

Thanks in advance

Alright so I can just find something thats permeable to put the carbon in and throw that in? Like a little pouch that water will seep through or something?

Yep I use woman's knee high pantyhose as media bags too. You can also get some Purgen as it removes tannins like crazy and can last a long time. It can also be regenerated several times to make the expense worth it.

Alright thanks for the help. I'll pick up either some activated carbon or purgen this weekend.

Ok i will look for those, seems a lot easier then finding something else around the house.

Back
Top Bottom