How to add rams to an existing group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I went to my LFS a couple weeks ago, they only had female german blue rams... I picked up a couple with the intention of adding more later, but I wanted to check if there was any suggested method of introducing additional members to the group now that the two have settled in. The two girls are total best buds and have even grouped up to shoo off my full grown Red Tail Black Shark when the shark was trying to be a little too pushy, so I don't want to have them bullied too badly by any new additions or vice versa.

Any suggestions on the best gender ratio and introduction methods to minimize stress/confrontations? I seem to get conflicting info all over the place on the best ratio of males to females, but ideally I'd like at least a couple pairs... Any help would be appreciated!

When I went to my LFS a couple weeks ago, they only had female german blue rams... I picked up a couple with the intention of adding more later, but I wanted to check if there was any suggested method of introducing additional members to the group now that the two have settled in. The two girls are total best buds and have even grouped up to shoo off my full grown Red Tail Black Shark when the shark was trying to be a little too pushy, so I don't want to have them bullied too badly by any new additions or vice versa.

Any suggestions on the best gender ratio and introduction methods to minimize stress/confrontations? I seem to get conflicting info all over the place on the best ratio of males to females, but ideally I'd like at least a couple pairs... Any help would be appreciated!

How big is your tank? If your females are getting along fine then adding males will quickly end that relationship lol. Unless you want to breed them id stick with the females

It's a 75 gallon community tank. The main reason I'd like some males is because I love the breeding colors having both genders brings out as well as the pair behavior. Breeding would be fun, but I doubt the fry would last with the other community members. I suppose I could have all females, but I'd think having at least one male shouldn't disrupt the relationships that horribly, would it? Or am I thinking too optimistically that the unpaired females would hang out together?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom