how to catch a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffalochip

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a platy who is suddenly after everything that moves. It is in a heavily planted tank and I want to move him but cant catch him.Anyone have any clever ideas about trapping this bad boy :hide:

I have a little plastic container that I use to transport fish from one tank to another, and it usually works to just let the fish swim into it eventually. I've also tried using two nets to trap the fish, but it stresses them out a lot more than the first one.

The best tactic I've used is simply netting them out while they're sleeping. They usually stage in the same area at night. Stalk him and get. Carefully though, other fish may get startled.and go airborne.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I try to do a water change when I have to catch a fish in a tall tank. This only works if you don't have a lot of plants. Just easier when there is less water in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've done this:
Take a transparent water bottle. Cut off the top third. Reverse and put it into the bottle so that the neck is now inside the body of the bottle. Put a bit of food inside.

Basically the fish can swim in easily as the reversed neck has a big "entrance", but is unlikely to swim out as the mouth of the bottle is so much smaller.

PeJ2DZ3DGY_89f-4WDskUMOe_3Xbkm4MVI1K6brOCeacVLPspqWB9-8EvZ1gCcEd1Ar8vK8plFrjX4I85kihyW5p-4-4ZR-Ymsw6P6bQkI7B5kD03akYClKaasAWpHtLSaUpV-hQiPcQ2N_7mFlXj6yDx-c4bexKRyeRlm9UPyVoecoYmEOXqVnhddvIkYLgFqzBzsHGJoxuxIsGGLSEOTN4y59pWRtdwR440o6xitKE0Ak4k91JrmJadTcxZk3M4CDJEHu7Lfj7Evk94MqVLbwZvMuV7ZdtLyWSiSzHAuykf_aMMb2gk91DtCeZ7b0R_wTCEFAt7R12tARPQvLWMR87KZP169aREBO2ywu1XvRGsDJvYLPSLYG7rGJ1WDTIOSMatqb5v5EAj6JbhUwT3DaI2xNBGM2wWGJTVGG8fDizSkjqWKngZL_DkBkR8g3OqbjfqaVWPnVd7D161eUvvXWvEy_vZ6pYZnMg3O1-4zgrT5OFnWJO-WceymQnbVM5rXdsfYMpd1mFpL2ANweoQrYlwYCZQgcoboJGtg=w650-h488-no

I just leave the net in for an hour so they aren't afraid of it, maybe put some food in it. Then just use your hands to coral them into in, and when they are in it just block the exit and lift out the net... This usually works only with a somewhat larger net.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

With a Platy i just wait until it comes to the surface and then snag it out... Ive managed to do this with my Texas which are pretty smart as well as faster than a Platy.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

I put the net in then I feed them a few minutes later. While they are eating I come up from below and catch the fish.

This happened to me this evening.
I have been trying for a few days to net one of over fifty tetras in a very very heavily planted tank. I had all sorts of fish just swimming into the net, but not the one I wanted. Then tonight just as I was giving in I lifted the catch net out of the water and he was in the net. I never even saw him approach the net. How weird was that!

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom