How to check for diseases.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started a fish in cycle for my 60 gallon. Anyway I used the very cheap rosy red minnows from Petco. I know that feeders are prone to disease. So how do I check for disease before I add my main stock into the tank?

Unfortunately, there is no guarentee that your tank will be disease-free. You will just need to monitor the minnows very closely for any signs of sickness and disease. If they die from an illness thats not easily identified and treatable, I would be hesitant to add any other fish until the situation is addressed. If you plan on fish-in cycling in the future, I would suggest only stocking healthy fish that you plan on stocking your tank with rather than using feeders. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Checking for Disease

I started a fish in cycle for my 60 gallon. Anyway I used the very cheap rosy red minnows from Petco. I know that feeders are prone to disease. So how do I check for disease before I add my main stock into the tank?

Hello Aaron...

Just use a little standard aquarium salt in the replacement water. Most of the pathogens that infect aquarium fish are unable to tolerate even a trace of salt in the tank water.

I use it regularly in all my 55 G tanks. I keep the dose very low, only a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of treated tap water. The dose is enough to keep parasites in a dormant state and keeps my fish healthy, but doesn't affect my plants.

If you don't have standard aquarium salt, you can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt. Avoid table salt. It can have additives that may be toxic to fish and plants.

The salt can be use routinely or less often.

B

Thanks Bradbury! Youre sure kosher salt is safe? And I add it to my water changes?

Using Aquarium Salt

Thanks Bradbury! Youre sure kosher salt is safe? And I add it to my water changes?

Aaron...

The Kosher salt is an alternative to standard aquarium salt. Just check the label. There shouldn't be any additives (chemical names you can't pronounce). Use just a teaspoon dissolved in every 5 gallons of treated tap water. This is the dosage I use in my tanks.

I still use the old bucket method for performing water changes. I use the water treatment as the bucket fills and add the salt at the same time.

B

Back
Top Bottom