How to clean a used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I picked up a 30 gallon off of craigslist. Came with a wrought iron stand, 2 power filters, a hood/light, and some various plastic plants and rocks (which I will not be using).

According to the seller, it has been in his basement a year. He used it to house his pond fish in the winter, but after a losing his fish last summer decided he didn't want to do it anymore. Anyway, the tank and filters are in dire need of a cleaning. Grime is pretty crusted on it.

Without using soap, how do you recommend I tackle cleaning this thing? I don't think the picture does it's filth justice lol. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393690547.655671.jpg

Of course scrub and rinse, rinse and more rinse...but also let it air dry to remove any residue vinegar that a towel can not get

Thanks all. I'm going to give it a try later. I hope I don't have to resort to bleach, but I have a feeling it might come to that. :/ oh well, I'm just happy for an upgrade!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom