How to Compensate for Overstocked Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaRoach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I currently have a 20 long that's a bit overstocked. Shouldn't be too bad for now because the Gourami is still very small as well as the Spotted Raphael that lives there. Being that the tank is overstocked a bit, what can i do other than more frequent water changes to make sure that my fish stay healthy?

The first picture is the current stocking information, the second is the stocking capacity when these fish are full grown.

Attachments

• Juvenile.png
    Juvenile.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Cory Barb.png
    Cory Barb.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 67
Currently using a Fluval Aquaclear 50. I have an air stone in there too that the tetras seem to like to play in. I also have a Tetra Whisper 20-40 filter but its an in the tank filter so I dont like to use it. Definitely would throw it in if it'd keep my fish any happier though.

You can add additional ceramic ring media and or Matrix. More in the filter container, but also hang a bag in the tank under the filter in and out flow/ or next to it. You can use an actual bag for holding media. Or a fine mesh bag from the produce store, like garlic and small onions and other items can come in.

Make sure to know that the Raphael Cat can get 6 inches pretty fast. They will eat many smaller fish in the night when you aren't watching. :eek:

And start looking for a larger tank on a deal. Probably a minimum of 40G breeder is a nice medium size for an upgrade. And then look into a Fluval AquaClear 110. It has a great capacity ~500gph and is adjustable like the smaller versions. And can add a DIY filter pad or length of drilled tubing to further redistribute the out flow.

50% weekly water changes minimum and maybe more frequently. You'd have to test your water throughout the week to see where it's at.

The glaring issue with compatibility IMO is the Raphael catfish. There's a good chance he'll eat your Cory cats once full grown.

Back
Top Bottom