How to eliminate Spring tails quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dananddiana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there peoples :).
I woke up last week and found the little black bugs all over the surface of my 55 gal planted tank. Looked online for suggestion to ged rid of them. One was to use a blow dryer on the surface of the tank. Well, That one worked very good and probably killed about 80 percent, however, it took a long time to do and there is always the threat of you accidently dropping the darn thing into the tank... Very bad! So, I was thinking... I use Hydrogen peroxide to kill algae with direct contact through a dropper. Those little bugs would probably be killed by it right? well I thought it was worth a try so... I put some in a clean spray bottle, Removed my lids and sprayed them thoroughly, Then sprayed the exposed insides of the tank and also a light dusting over the water surface. Guess what... No more springtails. Quick, easy and as long as you use a fine spray bottle, you are not adding enough to harm your fish.
It worked for me... Maybe it will work for others also.
BTW... My tank is heavily planted and I have 4 gouramis, an Elephant nose, 6 tetras, one shark tail, 6 other little fishies that I cannot remember the name of, One Plecostomus, 4 mollies, 2 African Dwarf frogs and about 20 Ghost shrimp.
Have had a happy healthy tank for about a year and a half now the only problem I have is recurring black hair algae that was introduced with a new plant and I treat with direct contact with the hydrogen peroxide. It kills it pretty quickly but I guess I have the spoors in the system so have to check every day for new growth so I can treat it early.
I hope my post is helpful to someone.
Diana

Back
Top Bottom