How to get rid of algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaAussie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this green algae that keeps growing up on the top of my big log near the light (possibly the reason) and I want to know if there is a way to get rid of it without other plants or fish dying. Also I bought this plant a while back and I think that's where it came from. I found this longish dark green moss and like an algae growing on it and I'm thinking of binning the whole
Plant cause it's like it's spreading it around.

Any advice?

Attachments

• image-623588588.jpg
    image-623588588.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 170
  • image-3756206999.jpg
    image-3756206999.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cyanobacteria batman!

We need to know some basic questions before we can give good advice. Like many things, we can treat the symptoms of algae, but it will keep coming back unless we address that issues that cause the algae in the first place. The main reason for algae in my experience are excess light and under-fertilization. How much light do you have, how long is it on, and what kind of bulbs do you have? Also, what is your fertilization scheme like?

Well you can see how close to the top of the tank it is forming near the lights. I run two 4 feet long t5 lamps with the bright bulb and roseate bulbs. I turn it on when I get up and off when I sleep do there has been a lot of light like 10-12 hrs a day.

Today I did a 30% water change with half RO water and half tap dechlorinated. I scraped a lot of he algae away and vacuumed some of the gravel along with cleaning all the glass. So much work.

I added a API CO2 booster an API leaf zone plant food along with root tabs for some of my plants at the bottom. Does a CO2 system help to get rid of algae?

It does, but what you have is cyano. To get rid of that you'll just need consistent regular water changes, regular filter maintenance, good water flow, no overfeeding, and bulbs that aren't over a year old. CO2 helps with regular algae, as does all the above steps, but cyano is a bacteria. Good flow, fresh lights, clean water and manual removal are my go to tools to fight it. Been about 10 years since I've seen it so there's probably newer techniques now.

What i did, is scrape as much of the algae of as i could, then did a 50% water change, and then used maracyn.
It has this stuff in it that kills it, and it worked for me.
Just put it in the tank once a day for 5-7 days and it should die.
Thats what worked for me

I have 2x T5HO 6000k and 2x T5HO roseate bulbs in two 4 feet long fixtures connected together. I have Gina back to just using the front one and only using the other one if I want to see the tank more or show it off. Do you think two fixtures are too much for a 100g tank? When I used to have just one it didn't seem bright enough and the plants didn't seem to grow as well.

tropicalmackdaddy said:
What i did, is scrape as much of the algae of as i could, then did a 50% water change, and then used maracyn.
It has this stuff in it that kills it, and it worked for me.
Just put it in the tank once a day for 5-7 days and it should die.
Thats what worked for me

I'll look into that maracyn stuff today thanks.

Actually maracyn is just that green stuff that treats fin rot. I tried that before when I got all my fish so shouldn't it have worked then? I don't wanna go through that whole process again if I can help it.

AquaAussie said:
Actually maracyn is just that green stuff that treats fin rot. I tried that before when I got all my fish so shouldn't it have worked then? I don't wanna go through that whole process again if I can help it.

Yes maracyn is medicine that is used for fish diseases, but it contains a chemical thats starts with an E, cant remember it.
If you look on other threads about cyano there is also the option of just using that chemical, but maracyn is relatively cheap and available that also contains it
Now did you use maracyn II ? Because thats diffrent than maracyn. But if youve already used it then i dont kno if it would work....

Erythromycin. It's an antibiotic, and since BGA is actually a bacteria (cyanobacteria), it's very effective against it.

I found that stuff at the store today but I would need a whole box to treat the tank and for 5 days would be 5 boxes at like 8 bucks each

AquaAussie said:
I found that stuff at the store today but I would need a whole box to treat the tank and for 5 days would be 5 boxes at like 8 bucks each

Oh dang that stinks i forgot that i have a measley 10g haha sorry

Back
Top Bottom