How to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips or article links on how to get started with a planted tank. I currently have a 28g tank, fully cycled with very healthy fish but I'm thinking I want a change. Currently, I only have fake decorations and one moneywort plant in the tank, but I love the look of planted tanks. I just never knew how to go about starting one! Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks for the link, it explains a lot! Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough money right now to properly set it up and a planted tank looks like it could get expensive. Looks like I'll have to put it on hold for now and revisit it in the future...

hey aqua, I have had a lot of luck with low light plants like java fern. I had a 10 gallon fully planted tank with a full spectrum fluorescent light. Didn't cost me a lot of money because I bought plants that would grow in low light and I never fertilized them or anything. I just trimmed them as they got overgrown. I wish I could find a picture. Also in my 55 gallon I had some amazon swords and java fern that did really well. what else did I have, oh yeah i think they were called 'crypts'. those did awesome in low light, keeps you from having to spend the money on CO2 systems and compact flourescent lighting fixtures anyway. Goodluck!

Low light low tech is easy AND cheap !!
Many of us use screw in CFLs in the proper spectrum.
Weekly dosing or none of Ferts.
Less expensive substrate.
My 5g is plain gravel
My lush 10g is Flourite sand under Tahitian Moon Sand
My new 10g is blasting sand
I did put root tabs in before I added sand.

Try plants !! Look for low light easy plants
Aquatic Plant Central has a fabulous
Plant Finder http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php

Java Fern
Mosses
Anubias don't need substrate. Tie them to rocks, wood or decor and they grow. There are YouTube videos for first timers like I was :)

Crypts are beautiful low light plants.

View attachment 51752

View attachment 51753

View attachment 51754

what is a good website for ordering plants? I can't remember which website I used to order my plants from, it's been so long.

ashleynicole said:
what is a good website for ordering plants? I can't remember which website I used to order my plants from, it's been so long.

It's a LOT cheaper to buy direct from hobbyists. Check the mart here and I've gotten many from The Planted Tank forum. Check and see if you have a local fish or planted tank club. Most of my current plants were free from club members :)

Or find out what you want and put up a LF or WTB thread.

I have bought plants from members on hear in the past years ago, i bought some java fern and crypts. I also got some trumpet snails. If anyone can PM me some good members that are good resources for these things, I usually use paypal. But I need good references to know who to buy from.
Thanks.

ashleynicole said:
I have bought plants from members on hear in the past years ago, i bought some java fern and crypts. I also got some trumpet snails. If anyone can PM me some good members that are good resources for these things, I usually use paypal. But I need good references to know who to buy from.
Thanks.

I haven't bought off this site, but I've always had good results buying off TPT so far. One seller was boxing up a heater for me, realized it was wrong size and shipped it free with adapters to make it work ($40 inline heater). The power sellers on TPT have great reviews.

Back
Top Bottom