How to lower ammonia levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I just got my water tested yesterday at my lfs, they said I had high levels of ammonia and nitrites but my Ph was ok. I went home and did a 50% water change in both my 5.5 gal tank and my 40 gal tank. I don't have a home test kit but are there any tricks for keeping down high ammonia and nitrite levels?

Tank details:
5.5 gallon- one betta, one pleco
40 gallon- one angelfish.
I recently got done treating the 40 gallon for Ich, and neither tank have any plants (the 40 gal used to have plants but the medicine and salt were hard on them so I threw them out).

Yes. Once your tank has cycled and your benificial bacteria grown, your ammonia and nitrite should become unreadable and almost absolute 0.

Changing out water will lower ammonia but it will rebuild itself very quickly.
In your case, you have fish in the tanks so your only option is to keep changing out water regularly to keep the ammonia at non life threatening levels.

How often are you cleaning the filters? It doesnt want to be very often at all. Cleaning the whole filter will wipe out most of the good bacteria thats build, putting you tank back into cycle.

Yes. Once your tank has cycled and you benificial bacteria grow, your ammonia and nitrite should become unreadable and almost absolute 0.

Changing out water will lower ammonia but it will rebuild itself very quickly.
In your case, you have fish in the tanks so your only option is to keep changing out water regularly to keep the ammonia at non life threatening levels.

How often are you cleaning the filters? It doesnt want to be very often at all.

Thanks, should I do daily water changes or like once every 2-3 days? And I usually clean my filter and add new carbon about once a month. Should I be doing that more or less often?

Daily would be the best advice until cycled.

Getting a tast kit of your own would be a good idea. This way youll know when your cycles finished also how its progressing so youll be able to alter the daily water changes to every 3rd day ect ect.

As for your filter changing, you can change the while floss pre filter whenever you want but not inside biomedia or sponges. Alternate cleaning the filter media, for example: if your filter has 3 sponges inside only clean one of them each 2nd week. ALWAYS wash the media in tank or treated water, its probably best to wash them in water youre about to change out.

How long have your tanks been up?

Daily would be the best advice until cycled.

Getting a tast kit of your own would be a good idea. This way youll know when your cycles finished also how its progressing so youll be able to alter the daily water changes to every 3rd day ect ect.

As for your filter changing, you can change the while floss pre filter whenever you want but not inside biomedia or sponges. Alternate cleaning the filter media, for example: if your filter has 3 sponges inside only clean one of them each 2nd week. ALWAYS wash the media in tank or treated water, its probably best to wash them in water youre about to change out.

How long have your tanks been up?

Yeah I plan on getting a test kit of my own this weekend. Neither of my filters have sponges, they both just have carbon cartridges and the filter in my 40 gal has a bio-wheel. Is that bad? The 5.5 gal has been up for a little less than a year. The 40 gal has been up for about a month. I didn't know about cycling a tank properly so I just put my fish straight into it (I realize that was a bad idea). I also don't have any plants in my tanks but I want some. Will the ammonia kill them if I get some?

I don't even bother with water changes, just use 2-3x the normal amount of prime and call it a day... The ammonia levels always go right back to where they were the next day so its really quick... Plus for my tap water I have 2ppm of ammonia in that so I cant really lower my ammonia levels unless they are like 8ppm or something...

I changed out my under gravel filter and all my gravel for new gravel for my plants and in doing so it caused a new cycle on my 8-9 year running tank.. I have had high ammonia levels for over a week now always showing 4ppm.. It hasn't reached 8 yet at least from what I can see.. But I have just been dosing 2-3x (a cap full) every 24 hours and I haven't lost a single fish, and I have like 30 fish in that tank (27g hex).. Neons and other tiny fish like them.

Plants eat ammonia for food actually, the also eat nitrate's, If you 5.5g has been running for a year I suggest you get a hang on back filter for it.. a 5-10 gal filter... I don't see how you could have ammonia in that tank if its been running that long.. My 5.5g cycled ammonia and nitrites in about 6 weeks.. My 55g took only 2-3 weeks (I was using filters from another tank in the 55g)

Read up on cycling with fish.

Your bio wheel is where your bacteria will live. Leave it as is. The only reason to have carbon in your filter is to remove medications from your water. Replace that cartridge with a simple filter floss or quilt batting, no need to replace it, just rinse regularly in old tank water or treated (declorinated) tap water. Chlorine will kill your bacteria.

Oh, and what kind of pleco do you have in your little tank? I'm not aware of one that is suitable for such a small tank.

Oh and I just realized you said you have a plexo in the 5.5 gallon.. What kind of pleco ? Dwarf pleco's get like 4 inches long.. Which is too big for that 5 gallon tank, and normal pleco's can get like 8 inches + which is WAY too big for that tank... Pleco's also put out a lot of waste specially when they get bigger.. You should put the pelco in that 40g tank of yours.. He doesn't belong in the 5g tank.. Your betta and pleco will survive the ammonia and coming nitrites... but your angelfish they are really sensitive I doubt he will survive..

Get a large bottle of prime the 500ml one for $15 and dose 1 cap full in the 40g and 1 thread full in the 5 gallon every 24 hours. and if you have city water with chlorine in it.. before you add new water to either tank you need to put a drop or 2 into whatever bucket your using to fill the tank with each time to de-chlorinate the water

I don't even bother with water changes, just use 2-3x the normal amount of prime and call it a day... The ammonia levels always go right back to where they were the next day so its really quick... Plus for my tap water I have 2ppm of ammonia in that so I cant really lower my ammonia levels unless they are like 8ppm or something...

I changed out my under gravel filter and all my gravel for new gravel for my plants and in doing so it caused a new cycle on my 8-9 year running tank.. I have had high ammonia levels for over a week now always showing 4ppm.. It hasn't reached 8 yet at least from what I can see.. But I have just been dosing 2-3x (a cap full) every 24 hours and I haven't lost a single fish, and I have like 30 fish in that tank (27g hex).. Neons and other tiny fish like them.

Plants eat ammonia for food actually, the also eat nitrate's, If you 5.5g has been running for a year I suggest you get a hang on back filter for it.. a 5-10 gal filter... I don't see how you could have ammonia in that tank if its been running that long.. My 5.5g cycled ammonia and nitrites in about 6 weeks.. My 55g took only 2-3 weeks (I was using filters from another tank in the 55g)

My 5.5 gal has a hang on back filter, it just doesn't have a sponge in it for some reason. And yeah, I don't know why the ammonia levels are so high, probably because I need to vacuum the gravel or something. I've never tested the ammonia and nitrites before until yesterday honestly, and I've always had problems with the Ph being low but I never knew what to do about it. I'm hoping with these water changes I'll be able to make it better, I'll look for prime at the fish store this weekend

read my new post on the first page I have more info pertaining to your pleco in that 5g tank they get way too big for that tank... they can get the entire length of that tank lol

How does your filter not have a sponge in it ? They all come with one when you buy them.. did you just not put it in and ran the filter without its actually filter in it lol ?

What is your PH anyway ??

Water changes are EXTREMELY important! Get a test kit ASAP, no strips. Strips are notoriously inaccurate. Get a kit like the api master kit. Until then, water changes are all that will help your fish.

Yes you need to use a dechlorinator if you are on city water, prime is a good one, but its not a cure all and won't take the place of good ol fashion fresh water.

Move the pleco. Your filter needs some sort of floss, don't waste your money on carbon filters. With the pleco out and floss in your filter the bacteria will build in your 5 gallon in no time.

Aqueon Quietflow Aquarium Hang-on-Back Power Filter 10
I don't know! I actually was mistaking floss for carbon cartridges...I basically have floss that has carbon in it. I don't think I threw out a sponge when I opened it.....and my 40 gal definitely doesn't have a sponge either, just floss. Above is a link to the filter I have...I really don't know why they don't have sponges! I am very confused about my filters now! Lol and the pleco used to be in the 40 gal but I was treating it with salt and he started to get sick so I just have him in the 5 gal temporarily. He is small enough right now that he is ok.

The blue part is where your bacteria will build up most of its colony. Instead of using carbon filers, get either 100% polyfil quilt batting (cheap and lots of it) or filter floss for the pet store ( little pricier, but does the trick. All it does is catch the debris in the water. It can be rinsed and reused hundreds of times. Just cut a piece to fit your in your filter and call it good. Rinse it in dirty water that you've vacuumed out of the tank then put it back in the filter. Simple as that.

The blue part is where your bacteria will build up most of its colony. Instead of using carbon filers, get either 100% polyfil quilt batting (cheap and lots of it) or filter floss for the pet store ( little pricier, but does the trick. All it does is catch the debris in the water. It can be rinsed and reused hundreds of times. Just cut a piece to fit your in your filter and call it good. Rinse it in dirty water that you've vacuumed out of the tank then put it back in the filter. Simple as that.

Do I put those things in with the carbon floss I already have? So many things I never knew! Lol

Do I put those things in with the carbon floss I already have? So many things I never knew! Lol

Do yourself a huge favor. I have the fluval chi and removed the filter and replaced it with an Aqueon 10. I ditched the garbage carbon inserts and stuffed it with my own media. Looking at the filter from the output (waterfall) side, I stuck an aqueon sponge block (believe I cut it inhalf to fit) and put it in standing up on the left side. I then filled the filter with ceramic rings until it reached the level of the waterfall edge. Lastly, I placed polyfill as the previous poster mentioned on top and stuffed it down as best I could. It is working EXCELLENT and I recommend you do the same. Ill post a pic in the morning for you.

The carbon is only needed when its time to absorb medication from the water. Take it out and replace it with filter floss.

Guys I think you are confusing the heck out of this guy... first of all the way your saying NO CARBON is sounding like its a bad thing to have it ? Carbon clears up the water makes its crystal clear specially if you have tannins in the water or some other discoloration...

I have the same filter you do on my 5.5g Betta tank, same filter... My tank took 6 weeks or so to cycle. I have no ammonia on nitrites in the tank but I did use bacteria in a bottle and I used filters from other tanks to seed it... and it still took almost 2 months... , all I have in it is a betta and 3 assassin snails.. I honestly don't know why you tank isn't cycled.. Do you have a heater on it ? If not get one of those cheap tetra heaters from Wal-Mart they automaticly set the temp at 78f. Bettas should have heaters in the tank they are tropical fish.. and higher temps also helps the good bacteria grow faster. If you do have a heater then I have no idea why your tank has ammonia in it after so many months..

How big is that pleco ? If its a big one I suggest and even if its small suggest moving it to the 40g because it will get big And I suspect its why your ammonia isn't going down in that tank.

Anyway, you DONT NEED SPONGE filter's like these two are telling you... The carbon/floss filter that came with your pump is perfectly fine it just has added carbon in it.. Those filters are slightly more money that's all.. The floss filters they are talking about are really cheap filters you buy at the store and cut to shape and put in the pump. Everything your doing is fine... so yea don't go rushing to the store to buy a floss filter like that..

Keep what you have in your filter changing it will only kill the bacteria you already have.. Leave it in there.. If it gets clogged and starts overflowing just scoop some tank water out and rinse your filter rubbing it with your fingers to get the dirt out and reinsert it. I have had my original in there for like 3 months now I cleaned it once because it was overflowing and that's it

Back
Top Bottom