How to lower nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have a cycled 28g tank with just 8 neons and 3 nerite snails. I've been doing weekly pwc of 20-50%, vacuuming the gravel during those changes. However, when I test my water, my nitrates seem to hover around 30-40ppm. I'm only feeding a tiny little pinch every other day. I have two live plants in the tank, a moneywort and a green cabomba. I wanted to get some more fish tomorrow but I'm not sure if the nitrates are a problem. Are there any other ways I can reduce them?

Are you using test strips or a liquid kit? Strips can be inaccurate. PWCs are the only practical way to lower nitrates. Your stocking shouldn't be producing that much nitrate though. Does your tap water come with nitrates, or is there anything dead/decaying in the tank?

--Adeeb

I am using api master liqiud test kit. I haven't tested my tap water but it's not well water so I don't see how there could be nitrates. There may be some food decaying in the tank from previous over feeding which is why I'm vacuuming the gravel as much as I can when I do a pwc. I did a 60% pwc last week and tested the next day, nitrates were at 10ppm. Two days later I tested again and they were at 40ppm. Is it normal for them to rise that much? They don't seem to be going over 40 though.

Your Nitrates

Hello Aqua...

If you're following a sound tank maintenance routine, then nitrates in the 30 to 40 ppm range aren't going to harm your fish. You have a safe number of fish and keep the water changes at 25 to 30 percent every two weeks and vacuum the gravel. This should keep your tank in good shape.

I'd recommend adding some fast growing stems to your tank and possibly floating some Indian Fern. The plants will use the added nutrients and help filter the water.

From what I've read from your post, you're doing fine. Your tank just needs time to establish the water conditions.

B

I think tap water can have nitrates, not just well water. I would test your tap water just to see.

The only way to reduce them is through pwc, so you want to get into a pwc routine that will keep them <20 (<40 is OK, but I wouldn't let it get higher than that). So if you test your water every day and find out that every 3 days your nitrates are 40, you might want to change 50% of the water twice per week.

Other than that you're probably good for adding fish, just add them slowly and keep an eye on the parameters. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom