How to make easy recycled auarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I wanted to get a new aquarium and I thought it might be cool to make my own. Anyone know how?

Thanks

Lots of people have built tanks, myself included. If you can get some free glass, even better, because you can't build a tank cheaper than buying one if you have to buy new glass. Old windows can be a free source of glass. You can learn to cut it and silicone is cheap.

Keep in mind that most commercial windows door glass are tempered, laminated or tinted.
Google for glass thickness calculator before you make a tank.

Also if you get glass that is tempered. You CANT cut it! It will shatter into thousands of pieces if you try. Found this out when I worked in a hardware store and a customer brought in their own glass for me to cut. I didn't know it was tempered and it didn't end well

Also if you get glass that is tempered. You CANT cut it! It will shatter into thousands of pieces if you try. Found this out when I worked in a hardware store and a customer brought in their own glass for me to cut. I didn't know it was tempered and it didn't end well

oh man, I've seen that happen...not pretty.

I was in a Glass wholesaler waiting for some plexiglass to be cut for my Bosses store case (I was a Kid in High school then) and the new guy there grabbed the wrong glass for another guy's order to cut...not good.

Pton46 said:
oh man, I've seen that happen...not pretty.

I was in a Glass wholesaler waiting for some plexiglass to be cut for my Bosses store case (I was a Kid in High school then) and the new guy there grabbed the wrong glass for another guy's order to cut...not good.

Yeah it's a lot of fun to clean up. It pretty much explodes. At least the customer was cool about it. She said " what happened" I said it was tempered glass and it can't be cut and she actually apologized to me.

Back
Top Bottom