How to make the filter safe for my Betta's fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I just got a Betta today for my 5 gallon! (I fishless cycled)
Immedietly he swam over to the filter and his long, flowing fins were kind of stuck to the filter intake! They weren't necessarily getting sucked in, but they were held on by the pull of the filter. A little help by me worked to free him, but it's not like I'll be there every time it happens.
It's an HOB Filter, btw.
Help is appreciated! Since then, he hasn't gotten stuck again but it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

is their a setting to make it a lower level intake. if not I might also suggest getting a smaller filter. maybe even a sponge filter.

I use a piece of pantyhose tied over the intake tube. Works like a charm. Just make sure it's a clean piece, rinse it very well in the sink.

No, there's no setting to lower the flow on this one. The outflow is rather minimal and does not produce a strong current, but I'm worried it will happen again because the Betta likes to hang around there.

I'll try the pantyhose idea. Does it matter if they have been washed, or do they have to be new? Also, how do larger debris get through the pantyhose? Either way ts a good idea and I'll get on that.

Thanks!!! :)

Debris won't make it through the pantyhose. But what's a plus is that it's really hard to get it clogged up. New or used is fine. Just wash it in some clean, soap free water for awhile.

Betta like to hang onto stuff. I have one that routinely swims to the fitler intake and allows his fins to adhere to it. I really think its just another way they will sometimes anchor themselves to a spot. Like when they hook a top fin through a plant stem so they can just hang.

If you do go the pantyhose route, I always use brandnew only. Used ones that have been washed might harbor harmful washing detergent or other undesireable elements.

If you do go the pantyhose route, I always use brandnew only. Used ones that have been washed might harbor harmful washing detergent or other undesireable elements.
Thanks for clarifying, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the lingering detergents could be harmful to the tank. I will then use a new pair.

Betta like to hang onto stuff. I have one that
routinely swims to the fitler intake and allows his fins to adhere to it. I really think its just another way they will sometimes anchor themselves to a spot. Like when they hook a top fin through a plant stem so they can just hang.
Okay, I'm not sure if at the time he was staying near the filter intake with his fins adhered to the tube because he was stuck or "just hangin there." So, the time it takes for me to get a new pair of pantyhose will give me some
time to see if it is necessary or not afterall.

Debris won't make it through the pantyhose.
Wait, but wouldn't that mean that the filter won't be cleaning as well? If it can't suck up dirt and such, how will it be useful in
cleaning?

Thanks for clarifying, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the lingering detergents could be harmful to the tank. I will then use a new pair.

Okay, I'm not sure if at the time he was staying near the filter intake with his fins adhered to the tube because he was stuck or "just hangin there." So, the time it takes for me to get a new pair of pantyhose will give me some
time to see if it is necessary or not afterall.

Wait, but wouldn't that mean that the filter won't be cleaning as well? If it can't suck up dirt and such, how will it be useful in
cleaning?

A filter's abilities lie more in treating the water for water soluble waste like ammonia and organics than actual physical debris. I have panty hose on my filter and the water is crystal clear. No carbon or purigen added.

I use plastic mesh. Bettas don't create much debris that needs to go through the filter, so the pantyhose should be fine. :)

P.S. Where are the pics of the new Mr. Betta?!?!

Here are some picture of Enrique! :) Unfortunately, the focus light really scares him off and I couldn't get any good pictures that weren't blurry. Also, they came out dark because I didn't want to blind him with the flash. He's a standard Veil Tale, but these pictures don't do him justice. His fins are really flowy when he swims, and look pretty purple in person, but these pictures don't show very well. Oh well! Here they are:
IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg
Haha yeah, pretty bad pics, but that's the best I could do.

I vote for plastic mesh, from the craft store. I use it on all my intakes, because I have klutzy fancy goldfish with long fins. Pantyhose would never work for me...it might prevent a fin from being pulled INTO the intake, but it would still get sucked up AGAINST the intake.

For a long time, I used the craft mesh by making a closed end tube around the intake portion of the filter pipe. Just keeping the fins away by an inch or so was all it took, so most of my tubes were maybe 3 inches across, and I formed them with fishing line or zip ties, keeping all the knots and sharp edges inside the tube. Then I found that craft mesh also comes in shapes. The "easter egg" is perfect. I cut 3-4 rows out of the pointy end of the egg and slipped the whole egg over the intake tube. Boom, plenty of room between the tails and the intake. The eggs only come in white though, so now I spray them with black Krylon Fusion, and they blend into the background.

I vote for plastic mesh, from the craft store. I use it on all my intakes, because I have klutzy fancy goldfish with long fins. Pantyhose would never work for me...it might prevent a fin from being pulled INTO the intake, but it would still get sucked up AGAINST the intake.

For a long time, I used the craft mesh by making a closed end tube around the intake portion of the filter pipe. Just keeping the fins away by an inch or so was all it took, so most of my tubes were maybe 3 inches across, and I formed them with fishing line or zip ties, keeping all the knots and sharp edges inside the tube. Then I found that craft mesh also comes in shapes. The "easter egg" is perfect. I cut 3-4 rows out of the pointy end of the egg and slipped the whole egg over the intake tube. Boom, plenty of room between the tails and the intake. The eggs only come in white though, so now I spray them with black Krylon Fusion, and they blend into the background.

Thanks for the info and tips! :)

Back
Top Bottom