How to move Jack dempsey fry into bigger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nkkb258

Aquarium Advice Newbie
okay so i have a pair of first timer jack dempseys that had fry that are about 3-4 weeks old now.There were many more fry when they were first hatched but now numbers had dwindled witch is okay, i know thats supposed to happen. They were a big surprise and i wasn't expecting them. I did read up on breeding jack dempseys but I figured I would wait untill I had a bit more money to care for them as best as possible. Then also i already had my jack dempseys thinking they were both males. But i was VERY wrong.

My problem is....my tank i have them in is waaaaay to small(15 gallon). I do have a bigger tank i want to put them in, its a 65 gallon(just have to get ride of the guppys in that tank first and relocate my angel fish)

but how would i move the proud parents and their fry into the bigger tank without them getting too stressed out?

would they forget that their fry are theirs and start to eat them?

How can i move the fry? with a net or siphon?

Do you think any local pet stores might take the jack dempseys for a small fee?

thanks!

net out the adults and move them into the new tank. as for the fry depending on the size you could net them out or siphon them out. never breed them so not sure the size they would be now. lfs might buy some go in and ask how big they must be before they take them. also have to figure out if you just want credit or cash. for me credit should be 2 times as much as cash.

Best option is to have an empty tank, syphon off water from the tank they are already in to fill the other tank and then syphon the fry into the other tank or into a bucket then put them in the other tank. If you have a set up tank that is different to the tank they are in they will most certainly die from the shock of even the slightest change in water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom