How to prune Caulerpas/avoid the white bleeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefcowboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

So I felt I needed to do some pruning to control the macros growth in the sump. I have some mixed chaeto and caulerpa prolifera.
As I first introduced them when I built my sump, they did grow a lot faster, I'm assuming because of the higher nitrates/phosphates back then allowed them to keep growing faster. However, it came to slow down and lately only the caulerpa has been really growing its roots everywhere. The chaeto grows a lot slower.
I wanted to avoid the roots from getting to the blades of the impeller of the return pump( my 3rd part of the sump is separated from the refugium with a griddle wall), so I grabbed some scissors and went to cut the forest down a little.
On the first cut, i noticed the caulerpa bled profusely some milky liquid...
So I didnt go further, and grabbed the bleeding end and hung it outside of the sump, so that stuff would not drip in the water...
What is that? Is it bad for the water? Im assuming not, but it did bleed for quite a while until it stopped...
How do you guys trim down your sump macros? Pulling the whole algae parts out?

Thanks again for the hand

Back
Top Bottom