How to remove a hairy crab, or should I??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
I have finally found a good pic of the little hitch hiker I have. After a great deal of reading I think this one may actually be ok. Does anyone have any experience with one that looks like this. He hangs out in the rocks and has a smooth body so I don't think he is the bad, gorilla or tebby bear crab.
This is what I found about him.
Hairy Crab

Pilumnus fissifrons

Systematics: Brachyura Family Pilumnidae
[SIZE=+2]D[/SIZE]istinguishing [SIZE=+2]C[/SIZE]haracters:
The carapace is up to 20 mm wide, with triangular teeth along the sides of the broadly curved front. The chelipeds have black tips; one is much larger in males. Much of the carapace and the legs are covered with dirty grey hairs giving the crab a velvety feel. [SIZE=+2]H[/SIZE]abitat and [SIZE=+2]D[/SIZE]istribution:
The hairy crab is a cryptic species living under rocks, among algae or sponges near low tide level and in much deeper water. The species occurs in South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania.

[SIZE=+2]G[/SIZE]eneral [SIZE=+2]B[/SIZE]iology:
Whereas many crabs will attempt to escape when disturbed or captured, hairy crabs play dead, curling their legs up to look as inconspicuous as possible. Their camouflage makes them difficult to see even when rocks are turned. There are several species of hairy crabs in southern Australia, all very difficult to distinguish.
see pic here
http://www.ctu.edu.vn/colleges/aqua...bCWare/Australia-MarineCrustacea/j19511-1.jpg

that IMG file is supposed to be used for HTML code, not linking it to your hard drive file, it will not work.

Back
Top Bottom