How to rinse sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Noob question. I have always used gravel in my tanks but I'm starting up a new 30 g and want to give sand a try. What is a quick step by step procedure to rinse the sand before using it in my tank? What am I looking for to know my sand is rinsed and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rinse in small quantities. While it seem like more work it is much faster and uses less water. When you have a large amount the stirring causes much of the dust to be re-trapped in the sand. The water should be clear when the sand is clean. It it has been washed correctly the tank will be crystal clear when filled.

I rinsed 50 pounds a couple of pounds at a time in a five gallon bucket. Run some water into it with a hose or in the tub, swirl it around, then dump the water and repeat. You're looking to get clear water (meaning the sand settles and no junk is floating around in the water)

Yup, good advice from both. Depending on how much sand you are washing, and how dirty it is, it can take up to 10 washes to run clean. I like to do about 10 lbs at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. I try to get all the sand suspended in the water when I stir.

Back
Top Bottom