How to ship freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1tankneverenuff

Aquarium Advice Regular
Moderators, I wasn't sure where to place this post exactly. Anyways, I would like to get into some breeding of snails and Plecostomus mainly and would like some help on shipping. Any advice is appreciated!

Where to get heat packs, insulation, stress relief chemicals, transport bags...all the necessities to successfully shipping LIVE fish. Thanks!

The only pleco I know of that you can breed in the aquarium are bristlenose's.

Speaking from research and experience, there is a hell of alot more Plecostomus that will breed in captivity than just the average Bristlenose ;)...

...back on topic folks. :!:

Yeah I just thought about doing that too. Maybe I am just dreaming or something, but I would love to setup a little hatchery and try to breed different fish. And like what 1tankneverenuff said with figuing out a way to ship the live fish to the desenation with out any death. What would be the best way. So I am listen too! :D

Yeah, i've always wanted to breed Apple Snails and Pleco's. Have a look on www.fishprofiles.com loads of plecos you can breed, all quite easy with the right conditions!

I'll have a look around on google, i'm pretty sure theres going to be alot of retailers for this sort of thing.

Good luck!

When you ship fish you need either regular poly bags like the LFS use, or breather bags (available here: http://kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html).

If you use regular bags you need to use two bags for safety, especially when shipping fish with sharp fins like plecos. You use a pretty small amount of water, and the rest of the bag filled with air. It is really recommended to inject the bag with oxygen if possible. My LFS does this for free for me. Also a squirt of Amquel or Prime to reduce ammonia toxicity that will build up in the bag during shipping is a good idea.

Breather bags do not require oxygen to be injected, but don't use these with labyrinth organ fish like bettas, or even for cory cats or gouramis.

Pack as few fish as possible into each bag and line a good cardboard box with styrofoam sheeting, cut to fit the interior of the box. Use newspaper as insulation, and use cool packs or heat packs as necessary depending on where you are shipping and the time of year.

How you ship is up to you, but for hardy fish like I ship I have been very happy with USPS Priority Mail. Others won't ship any way other than FedEx. USPS has a next-day option also if you like.

When you bag the fish, I suggest bagging them once regularly, then bagging them a second time so that the first bag is upside-down in the second bag. This will keep the bags from leaking everywhere and it will prevent the fish from getting stuck or smashed in the corners of the bag.
Good luck to you and your breeding! :lach:

1tankneverenuff

I am into the same thing right now. I'm not terribly interested in breeding Apple Snails, but they breed for my very readily, and I have about 20 large (1.5" diameter) specimens now from an original 1 (females store the milt and can reproduce long after a male has left the tank). Many, many more I have given away.

I am much more interested in breeding plecos, though. I am currently trying to breed 2 species: L183, the white seam ancistrus (a bristlenose, but not nearly as easy to breed as standard bristlenoses and albinos); and a spotted ancistrus (not sure on the L-number). I must, must get some pictures of my guys up on the site, because they're really some of the best-looking plecos I've ever come across. Got them from Exoticfines on Aquabid. He sells nice, healthy specimens, which he quarantines. Though they are not cheap, they're good quality, and local, so I can stop by his house to get them when I want.

The best accounts of pleco spawnings, I believe, are on www.planetcatfish.com. Here's the link to Shane's World, the section devoted to spawning catfish.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/index.php
Lots of stories about Hypancistrus zebra spawnings (amongst others).

And another good place to get supplies is on Aquabid.com. They sell breathable bags there, amongst other things. Just go to "Shipping Supplies" on the main page.

I'll try to post some pictures of my breeding setups tonight. Remind me if I forget, and if you're interested.

madasafish,
The snails I am currently breeding are the Asolene Spixi. So, not exactly your every day snail you know? Also, I checked out ExoticFinds.net and sent them an e-mail, and I may just call them tomorrow about what dwarf plecos are available. And yes, I am interested in seeing your breeding setups ;).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom