how to start a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a tank set up for my girls and need to get it cycled. We have a pond in our backyard - could I scoop out some water from there and add it into our tank to start the cycle or do I need to buy some ammonia?

Another semi-related question - I also saw some stuff at petsmart that said if you added it to the tank you could add fish right away...what's the deal w/ that?

birdma said:
I have a tank set up for my girls and need to get it cycled. We have a pond in our backyard - could I scoop out some water from there and add it into our tank to start the cycle or do I need to buy some ammonia?

Another semi-related question - I also saw some stuff at petsmart that said if you added it to the tank you could add fish right away...what's the deal w/ that?

As far as the stuff at Petsmart goes most if it is useless. It may have once had live BB (beneficial bacteria) in it but it most likely would have died.

The pond water would most likely not have any or very little BB so that is a no go also. You could do a fish less cycle by buying ammonia like you said. Or you could do a fish in cycle. This would require more work though. What size tank and what are your stocking plans?

you have 2 options for cycling. Fish in or fishless.

The products that claim it's safe to add fish are set up so you experience a fish in cycle. They may or may not work, their success is pretty widely debated, but you are still going to have to do water changes and test your water to make sure you have no spikes. I think your best chance with these products is MAYBE that it would shorten your cycle.

Here are 2 articles on cycling

fish in - Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
and fish less - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Your pond water would hold very little beneficial bacteria, it mostly grows on/in your filter media/decor and gravel. If you could get some media from your pond filter this would be more useful. Just stuff it into the filter for your tank.

Good to know about the pond water & the stuff in the bottle!

I WAS going to buy ammonia and do a fishless cycle but the girls just came back from a morning out w/ grandma w/ 3 mickey mouse platies. So I guess I'm now doing a fish-in cycle. Off to start another thread, lol.

Back
Top Bottom