How To Start A RCS 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently got a 1 Gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Tank for a back up/hospital tank. But now I'm starting to lean towards on making it a small RCS community.

Does anyone know how to start up a shrimp tank?

Does this 1 gallon tank need to be cycled?

It comes with a small filter, would it work? Or do shrimps really need filters to stabilize?

If anyone knows any good shrimp guides, feel free to link it please :)

Yes you will need to cycle it. If you already have an established tank you can add some filter media, or squeeze the filter media into the 1g filter for an immediate cycle though:)
Shrimp like driftwood, and plants, and a sand substrate is probably best so the extremely small babies don't get lost between pebbles.
I think a sand substrate, with a piece of driftwood with an anubias and some java moss tied on it, and some anacharis or hornwort would make a great home for some shrimp :)

Yes you will need to cycle it. If you already have an established tank you can add some filter media, or squeeze the filter media into the 1g filter for an immediate cycle though:)
Shrimp like driftwood, and plants, and a sand substrate is probably best so the extremely small babies don't get lost between pebbles.
I think a sand substrate, with a piece of driftwood with an anubias and some java moss tied on it, and some anacharis or hornwort would make a great home for some shrimp :)

So I don't need to add ammonia and all that other stuff? Like a regular fishless cycle? :O

Yes, cycling is necessary. Here is a shrimp care guide.
Needs:
Live plants-shrimp will live most of their lives cleaning plants of algae.
Sand-as stated earlier, baby shrimp could get stuck in gravel's cracks, and shrimp will sift through sand for algae
Filtration-even with a small bioload, you need to get rid of the bad stuff.
Heater-self explanatory, shrimp are tropical.
Large stones-shrimp will appreciate a smooth river stone to rest on.
Algae tabs or rocks- a very good food source for shrimp.

Wants:
Driftwood-a perch for the shrimp
Moss balls- shrimp will enjoy cleaning the moss
Cave- a slate cave could be a good addition to a shrimp tank for shelter.
Snail tankmate- my shrimps love to have a slimy algae eating friend!

Hope i helped! -fibsog

If you add media from a cycled tank or squeeze cycled tank media into it, it gives you already grown bacteria. Adding ammonia is for when you need to grow bacteria because you don't have any. If you have an established tank already there is no need to ever fishless cycle with pure ammonia.
I'm assuming you have another tank because you said you thought about using this one for a hospital tank.

Becareful with the light on the Aqueon mini-bow. I have several and they get quite hot and the filters get clogged easy and stop with a terrible grinding sound. Just a few things to watch for. As for shrimp I have no idea and am just getting into shrimp myself soon hopefully.

I've been through three mini bows, I really really really don't like them anymore. It's hard to get a heater in, there is nowhere for the cord to go. The top of the tank cracks easily when you have the lid go on and off all the time (like when you change the water) and yes the filter dies fast. The temp is hard to keep stable with the light ... Brings it up several degrees when it's on. The filters current is really strong for the space. And the filter won't fit any other aquarium. Oh and the teensy clip that holds it on breaks quickly. The filter also blocks the light on one side of the tank.

Also it only holds .75 gallons of actual water.

The 3 gallon Marineland kit is usually on sale at Petsmart for about $29. The filter is much better yet gentle, the led lights don't get hot and are brighter, the filter can be moved to other aquariums, it's easy to get a heater in, and it looks less like a kids toy. Holds 9 quarts of actual water once decorated.

Back
Top Bottom