How to tell if your fish is eating the right amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you tell is you are feeding your fish too much food or too little food? Thanks.

There is no way to tell for sure. Something that helps me is remembering that the eye of a figs is roughly the same size as the stomach.

I'm not too sure about the eye/stomach relationship... Sounds like an old wives tale. That said, I don't have anything better.

Keep in mind that you're fish can go several days without you feeding them and survive. So if you're feeding them as little as once a day, then they're still getting more than enough to keep them alive.
I think more people over feed than under feed, so that's something to keep an eye on. A common symptom of this is bloat. It's just what it sounds like... A bloated look to the fish. This can lead to problems with the swim bladder (fish has difficulty staying upright).
Also, if you're constantly seeing a long piece of poop hanging off the back of your fish, that's could be a sign of over feeding as well.
If you check your nitrate levels somewhat frequently (say weekly) then a large increase between tests is an indicator too.

Back
Top Bottom