How to use AmQuel Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to using this to treat water for water changes. Let's say I take out 20% of the water ( which I'm confused about bc some people say 20 a week and some say 50) so I use one bucket to empty the water out and I have another 5 gallon bucket that I have filled up with tap water. Do I add the amQuel plus to the tap water that's sitting there? How long to I let it sit in that water before I can add it to my tank? Is it instant or does it take a day to prepare the water? The water I add to the tank clearly isn't going to be the same temp as the tank water so it will change the temp of the tank for a while. Is that bad for the fish? I have a 30 gal tank now and I'm upgrading to a 90 so I want to have all this down before I begin.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image-3025882801.jpg
    image-3025882801.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 169
On your future 90g, you may want to consider investing in a water changer such as a python/aqueon. Buckets will likely take all afternoon to do water changes otherwise. A worthwhile investment!

In respect to the Amquel, it works pretty much instantly. You can swirl it around once or twice in the bucket and the water is safe to add to your tank. However, please consider using both the hot and cold water from your tap as well as a thermometer so you are able to temperature match the new bucket water to your tank water. Its it off by a degree or two, no big deal but you do not want to add ice cold water to your tropical tank unless its an emergency situation.

You also may want to consider switching to Prime when you start up your 90g. Amquel Plus is great stuff and works in the same fashion as Prime but you need quite a bit in comparison. I think its a capful of Amquel treats 10g while a capful of Prime treats 50g. Using a water changer that hooks up to your sink, you will need to dose conditioner to your tank size before refilling. Just some things to consider as you plan for your new tank!

On your present 30g, yes, you should be doing frequent 50%+ water changes for the health of your fish until you are able to bring your ammonia situation well under control. :)

Thank you! Your the best thing to happen to this site ever

Using Amquel Plus

I would stay far, far, far away from the Amquel Plus. I use tap water (pH of 8.2) in my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. I let my aquarium sit un-inhabited for 3 weeks, after adding the appropriate amount of Amquel Plus, checking all parameters weekly. My pH never moved from 7.0. I then added the fish. I never bothered checking my pH again, even though I was checking the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.......big beginner's mistake. I went to my aquarium store to add more fish, and found that this stuff lowered my pH to 6.0, over a time period of 3 weeks and a couple of partial water changes. I'm fortunate all I have are 6 zebra danios (still alive and in good spirits), that were apparently able to handle this calamity. Prime is significantly better, and with a 50% water change (out of necessity), my pH is now at 6.6. Still bad, but will have to do until I can perform yet another partial water change in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom