How To Vacuum Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can you vacuum sand? If I attach the large nozzle, the suction is so weak that barely anything is picked up. If I just use the small hose, sand gets sucked up at an alarming rate.

:thanks:

I have had trouble with this recently also. But I have discovered if you use the smaller hose, hold it a few inches above the sand and swirl it around in circles, the debris will create a little tornado and get sucked up while the sand mostly stays down.

Can you reduce the suction if the small hose by kinking it slightly? I usually try to get more suction by avoiding kinks with a big hose, but it should work the other way around.

Khuligirl93 has got it right. Take the large part off the hose and just use the hose itself. Make a swirling motion near the bottom and get a little tornado started. Then just suck up the junk in the water. Works great in my 55 gallon.

youtube has many video's on how to clean sand was very helpful for me when I had sand

Back
Top Bottom