humidity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm 6 years in this hobby. And I found out this now. Maybe I'm not too bright:) I never read anything about this, but it makes sens. I have 125 reef plus 30 gal sump. No covers I have 1 gal evaporation every day. Because of this I do not have to use humidifire. In family room where tank is 60% humidity all others 40-50%. When I turned on humidifire it was over 70%. So because all evaporation air in the house is not dry during winter when furnace is runing. Hm..strange but makes sense. Maybe I should put covers ( lids) on. But I heard that is no good because no gas Exchange. What you guys think about it? Thanks.

I now run a covered tank because of the evap.,,but my main issue was since the bigger upgrade i noticed condensation on my windows in the winter ..covered the tank and it stopped..Not worried about gas exchange too much,my sump is still open so i think thats fine.

I have problems with wet windows and mold. I leave the tank room (my system is in wall with a room dedicated to it) window cracked to exchange air for now, but will install a humidity controlled exhaust fan eventually. I have the DT open but the sumps covered. You can try covering the display and see if it negatively effects the tank.

Yes I saw condensation on my windows too. But that was only when I turned humidifire on my furnace too. So it was too much humidity when both worked. When humidifire is off it looks ok, my tank works as one. Funny.
I now run a covered tank because of the evap.,,but my main issue was since the bigger upgrade i noticed condensation on my windows in the winter ..covered the tank and it stopped..Not worried about gas exchange too much,my sump is still open so i think thats fine.

IMO, in wall set ups should always have a dehumidifier or exhaust. We all know moisture warps and bends wood. I got a $350 70 pint dehumidifier for $75 off of craigslist that I run in the basement with my tanks. You'd be amazed how much water that thing pulls out. It's almost like there is an invisible hose that drains my tank right into that thing. ;)

Back
Top Bottom