Hurricane help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diver423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the path of the hurricane that's heading up the easy coast, I need advice on what to do if I lose power to keep my fish alive. I have 2 10 gallon tanks, both are fully cycled.

Diver423 said:
I'm in the path of the hurricane that's heading up the easy coast, I need advice on what to do if I lose power to keep my fish alive. I have 2 10 gallon tanks, both are fully cycled.

Battery powered air pumps from walmart or a generator.

Battery powered air pumps from walmart or a generator. If you don't have either and can't get them, put your filter media in the main part of the tank, stop feeding everything except fry, and do small water changes if possible to replenish oxygen or stir the water around. If you have some big buckets, fill them up with half tank water and half new water, place some filter media in, and stick some of the fish in there to lower the oxygen usage in the main tank. If you have live plants be sure to provide them with lots of light from a strong flashlight if possible so you have a little more oxygen. Every bit counts, and turning off the lights makes plants perform cell respiration, which uses oxygen and puts out CO2. Also, the rainwater would be good to use for water changes if you collect from an area where it doesn't run off anything, just collects into a bucket sitting on your driveway or something like that. The water would be chock full of oxygen due to falling through the air for a while.

You should seriously research stuff before you go suggesting it. I agree with your first sentence... and that's it. A flashlight is going to do absolutely nothing other than waste batteries... Putting fish in a bucket to 'lower the oxygen usage in the main tank' is just a crazy notion. Last, rain isn't 'chock full of oxygen due to falling through the air'. You should really know what you're suggesting, before suggesting it. If someone were to take your advice seriously, they might end up killing off their fish for lack of research on what it is you're suggesting.

Doing the first suggested advice is crazy. If you don't have access to a generator agitate the water manually with a wooden spoon or something similar every couple of hours and you should be ok for a few days.

yea collecting rain water is a no go , ever heard of acid rain , rain picks up every pollutant in the air on its way down ,

xwesx1978 said:
yea collecting rain water is a no go , ever heard of acid rain , rain picks up every pollutant in the air on its way down ,

Some people do it and are perfectly fine. And yes I have heard of acid rain I wasn't born yesterday, that goes for all things people have said to me on this thread. Nobody is perfect. I was trying my best to help the OP, and if what I said was incorrect, then disregard the advice.

I'm in the path of this storm also. I've got 7 fw tanks and 2 ponds to worry about. Talk about stress!
I feel your pain.

i live in louisiana and am very use to hurricanes, i would def buy a batter operated air pump, i didnt need to wrap my tanks or anything since its hot down here all the time and usually during tropical hurricanes it will raise temps so there is not a huge concern but if there is i would wrap the tank with a blanket and monitor the temp readings
i always just got a cup and just picked up water and poured it back in and filled a bucket of water and put prime in it and put a lid on it and set it to the side bc once the power came on or if it was out for a few days a pwc is needed and i never wanted to use water that was in the pipes after a storm just incase there was a back flow

anyone please correct me if im wrong!

When I said put fish in a bucket I meant put half the stock in one bucket and keep half the stock in the tank to spread out oxygen usage, not put all the stock in the bucket. THAT would be crazy. I personally have my ways, you guys have yours. We can agree to disagree. I'm done with this thread, an I truly hope our wifi goes down so I don't get this from people. Sheesh

idk but i run a long power cord to my generator and only plug the essentials in since your most likely trying to run a fridge and or freezer to it as well

Yea, we seriously need to get a generator. We just bought this house last year and have been sort of collecting as needed sort of thing. Our old place has a wood stove which solved a lot of our problem. No wood stove here. :( lol.

Suppose I should get my butt in gear for a generator and a few propane heaters as I'm sure they will get put to use sometime. We didn't loose power last winter but I'm sure it's coming this winter. Suppose be more nasty

we had to buy one a few years ago when rita hit us we were out of power for almost 3 weeks... it was really bad

heads up and get the biggest one you can buy

we had to buy one a few years ago when rita hit us we were out of power for almost 3 weeks... it was really bad

heads up and get the biggest one you can buy

3 weeks? holy crud. We live right in the city so I don't think we would be knocked out for too long. Even on the out skirts the longest memory I have with out power is 3 or 4 days.

our town was in ruins, there where trees down everywhere and the whole place evacuated the winds tore our roof off and it rained inside our house, and we were lucky, other ppl lost their whole house to falling trees, floods or the storm blowing it away, rita to us was like katrina to New Orleans. i remember driving back in the city and seeing whole building in rubble it was really bad.

Back
Top Bottom