Hybrid Convict/Electric blue Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bktgifridays

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been breeding electric blue Dempsey's for a couple years now, with some success. I in turn had an EBJD female that didn't spawn which i've heard is typical of the species, therefore she was somewhat cast aside into a community tank with a convict, a bumblebee catfish, and 2 bichers. Now recently the convict and EBJD have been messing around as if they were going to spawn. Sure enough this morning I found eggs that seem viable on a rock, in a cave where they had dug they're pit! I have read a few things about convict/dempsey hybrids but never electric blue! Any thoughts?

Sounds very interesting. From what I have read, a lot of South American cichlids can have viable young. Just the first couple of generations will most likely be the weakest and the further it moves on, the strong the young become. I have never specifically looked into your cross, but either way good luck!

id love to see how they turn out!! they shouldnt really be sold off since they are hybrids, but the colours will be fascinating :D x

Well, if you properly describe what they are, then it shouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of people who love hybrid fish, like me.

And yea, I am so interested to see what they look like! You will have to post pictures.

This is interesting. It would be nice to know how the offspring would look like.

EBJD/CONVICT eggs with what I thought was male convict but now have my doubts. Don't the females guard the eggs and males patrol for intruders?

ForumRunner_20111205_213518.jpg

Ah yes your right! I've been removing the eggs and hatching for so long with my EBJD/BGJD pair I've forgotten what the parents behaviors are. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom